PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad in Update Manager

Spartachris
May 1st, 2009, 03:30 PM
After I upgraded to Jaunty from Ibex the Update Manager has gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad gray-ed out in the top box. I cannot check the check box, and when I check for updates, it's not grayed out, but still cannot clear the box.

I'm a noob, so I don't know what that package is, if I need it, or how to clear it.

Thanks for your help!

zigga15
May 1st, 2009, 03:32 PM
In synaptic click edit > fix broken packages --- see if that helps.

patslap
May 1st, 2009, 09:58 PM
I have a similar problem with gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad being greyed out, and liblucene2-java greyed-out, too.

The suggestion in the post above did not work for me.

Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance.

zigga15
May 1st, 2009, 11:20 PM
sudo apt-get autoclean

or

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade --fix-missing

or

dpkg -i --configure

and if this fails

dpkg -i -f --configure

keep googling for "fixing broken packages"

ozite
May 5th, 2009, 05:13 PM
I had this same problem. Go to Synpatic Packager Manager. Check for any items under Installed (upgradeable).

yamakake
May 10th, 2009, 04:08 AM
Thanks ozite! It worked!

daqron
July 18th, 2009, 07:28 PM
As usual, I figured out what gstreamer is and how to fix this problem the hard way. Gstreamer is a video/audio codec library. You probably need it. And for reasons passing understanding, the people who distribute the codecs have named the package "bad" even though by normal people's definition it is "good" (i.e., it lets you watch video podcasts and stuff).

So, if you go into Synaptic Package Manager, click on Custom Filters (lower left), then click on Upgradable (Upstream), you should see the gstreamer package, which you should then mark for installation. After you apply the change it should disappear from the upgrade manager.

funajo
February 22nd, 2012, 06:37 AM
In Ubuntu select System > Administration > Synaptic Package Manager.
Using "Quick Search" find "ubuntu-restricted-extras" and select for installation choosing to install all the recommended packages. and wala! done!.

funajo
February 22nd, 2012, 06:39 AM
In Ubuntu select System > Administration > Synaptic Package Manager.
Using "Quick Search" find "ubuntu-restricted-extras" and select for installation choosing to install all the recommended packages.

You dont need to upgrade. do not uninstall gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad.

nothingspecial
February 22nd, 2012, 10:55 AM
Old Thread

Closed