PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Ubuntu installation issues on Compaq Armada

Neverwin
May 1st, 2009, 01:32 PM
Hello!
I'm a linux-noob who have been trying to install ubuntu on an old pentium 3 laptop without any luck.
Here are the specs:

Compaq Armada evo N150
Genuine Intel Pentium 3 processor
184MB RAM
Trident CyberBlade i1 AGP
Previously running Windlows ME

Versions of ubuntu tried:
Ubuntu, hardy, hardy alternate, ibex, the new one and xubuntu alternate install:
I have about six CDs burned at slow speed and none of these work. All versions work until the point where you log in where the screen goes blank and the CPU proceeds to work with some secret task. The only command that changes this state is holding in the powerbutton. Starting from CD the installation menu appears. Checking it for errors says it's OK. Then when i choose install the screen reads "invalid DMA transfer" and then some (to me very cryptic) messages about setting an option to 1 or 0 which both fails. The OS installs and everything is fine until, as stated above, it starts (Or doesn't start). While installing xubuntu i formatted the HD so now the new specs are:
A noisy chunk of plastic with buttons that belongs to someone who expects it back.
For the record and to prevent jokes on my expense, given the stupidity of doing this to someones computer, i'd like to say that i'm happy about getting rid of the previous OS no matter what the cost.

I've read something about a "weird BIOS" on these laptops, don't know if this is the problem.
Any ideas what to do?

Neverwin
May 5th, 2009, 12:22 PM
I'll try wiping the disk with Darek's Boot And Nuke. It detected a floppy drive while starting which is weird because there is none...

PS if i posted in the wrong place or something please let me know

snowpine
May 5th, 2009, 01:21 PM
Your system specs are too low--give something like Puppy Linux a try, which is specifically designed for older hardware like yours. It should even run well as a Live CD if you discover your hard drive is completely fried.

Ubuntu is a great distro, but it requires newer hardware.

Neverwin
May 5th, 2009, 06:58 PM
Thanks! Getting Puppy-linux now. When this is over i can start a ubuntu museum with all the cds..

EDIT: Why would the HD be fried?