PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Log files, where?

tacomodo
May 1st, 2009, 12:37 PM
Sitting happily ls'ing in a terminal window my computer all of the sudden just rebooted itself.

Are there any logfiles I can check to see if it was anything software related?

And also, if anyone happens to know at the same time - where are the ufw log files?

y_garti
May 1st, 2009, 01:06 PM
use the gnome-system-log :)

MrWES
May 1st, 2009, 01:09 PM
Sitting happily ls'ing in a terminal window my computer all of the sudden just rebooted itself.

Are there any logfiles I can check to see if it was anything software related?

And also, if anyone happens to know at the same time - where are the ufw log files?

System | Administration | System Log -- from there you can view and review system logs.

Bill

PriceChild
May 1st, 2009, 01:11 PM
Incase you ever find yourself without a gui, you can see the logs displayed there in /var/log

MrWES
May 1st, 2009, 02:26 PM
Incase you ever find yourself without a gui, you can see the logs displayed there in /var/log

Nod...

dmesg | tail

dmesg | more

dmesg | less
or

cat /var/log/auth.log | less

Lots of ways to do many things in Ubuntu!

Bill

tacomodo
May 1st, 2009, 04:46 PM
Great, thanks for the replies guys!

Didn't make me any wiser, though...

I see maybe a few hundred UFW BLOCK INPUT log messages, all from addresses I don't know and only on my torrent port I have forwarded. Any chance this could be the source of my sudden reboot? Feels like I'm being hacked... :confused:

cariboo907
May 1st, 2009, 05:31 PM
I would check for hardwre problems, before blaming the operating system.

As far as blocked ip addresses, that's normal. I don't check the firewall logs often, but there are usually hunderds of blocked ip addresses every day.

As long as the ip addresses are blocked, your firewall is doing it's job.

tacomodo
May 1st, 2009, 06:37 PM
hehe I wasn't blaming the operating system.

The blocking is well and good but could have been an indicating someone was trying something, and finally succeeded.

Anyway, thanks again for the replies

MrWES
May 1st, 2009, 08:11 PM
hehe I wasn't blaming the operating system.

The blocking is well and good but could have been an indicating someone was trying something, and finally succeeded.

Anyway, thanks again for the replies

Did you take at look at

/var/log/auth.log ?

rannable
July 28th, 2009, 11:56 AM
go to system/administration/log file viewer