PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Who should/shouldnt install 64-bit Ubuntu???

VitaminBB
May 1st, 2009, 10:32 AM
Pretty basic ...

Ive heard people say that installing 64 bit ubuntu is the only way to go and others that say dont do it unless u have a lot of ram and newer processor ...

But what are the specifics?

Who will benefit from using the 64 bit version and what exactly does it ask for that scares so many people?

blazemore
May 1st, 2009, 10:39 AM
You will benefit from 64 bit if you
a) Run very CPU intensive applications such as video encoding or protein folding, that have native 64 bit versions
b) Have more than 4gb of RAM in total (Including graphics card RAM)
c) Need individual applications to access more than around 2gb RAM (Photoshop, video editors etc)

Nobody else will notice a difference.

presence1960
May 1st, 2009, 11:30 AM
Pretty basic ...

Ive heard people say that installing 64 bit ubuntu is the only way to go and others that say dont do it unless u have a lot of ram and newer processor ...

But what are the specifics?

Who will benefit from using the 64 bit version and what exactly does it ask for that scares so many people?

I am of the school that if you have a 64bit processor you install 64bit OS. We can debate whether or not the benefits will be reaped by your particular hardware setup, but since you have a 64bit capable processor you might as well make use of it. Just about all apps available in the 32 bit repositories are available in the 64 bit repositories. And flash and java are running nicely now. Take the plunge!

3rdalbum
May 1st, 2009, 12:25 PM
what exactly does it ask for that scares so many people?

Well, some people remember that proprietary software on 64-bit was a bit fiddly to use, before Ubuntu made things easy (and before more proprietary software companies made 64-bit binaries).

Some people have heard about Windows' problems with 64-bit and assume that it's the same with 64-bit Linux, which it certainly isn't.

If you have a 64-bit capable processor, which is all processors made in the last few years except the Intel Atom and the original Core processors*, you can use 64-bit. Bear in mind that 64-bit operation does use a little more RAM than 32-bit, so you should really have more than a gigabyte of RAM; although a gigabyte will still work.

*Core 2 is 64-bit.

Even though the Ubuntu disc image says "amd64", it works on 64-bit Intel and VIA processors too.

On Ubuntu you may well notice a performance improvement. 64-bit processing itself has an improvement, and as all 64-bit processors are reasonably modern it means that Ubuntu is compiled specially to take advantage of the more modern technology in today's processors; whereas for 32-bit, Ubuntu is compiled such that your old Pentium 3 can run it.

Linux&Gsus
May 1st, 2009, 12:54 PM
IMHO, if you have 64Bit hardware then the question for me is: Why wouldn't you? The troubles from the early beginning seem to be fixed. So, use the technology you bought.

In the Windows world things might be a bit different, if things cost more (I believe Windows 64Bit is pricier?) and you need to spend a ton of money to replace all your 32Bit apps with new ones.

nucleuskore
May 1st, 2009, 02:51 PM
I am using 64-bit Ubuntu with NO ISSUES

Software I use
Vuze
Frostwire
GIMP
and those listed here
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=858425

Anythign else? :D