PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Cronjob malfunctions.

drumnmachn19
May 1st, 2009, 03:55 AM
So my suite mate wrote a really awesome bash script that he gave to me, and I'm working on a back up script. He runs 8.04lts and I run 9.04. He doesn't have any issues with his script by I can't seem to get it to run on my setup. The script detects inactivity at the keyboard and mouse then submits to the website Twitter whether to turn mobile device updates on or off. The script is placed in /usr/local/bin/ Then I create a cronjob for it by:
sudo crontab -e
* * * * * /usr/local/bin/twitteridler

I was wondering if anyone has any advice on how to get the script to run? Like I said my friend has no issues in 8.04 using the same exact setup. Thank you very much for all of your assistance.

jazzgossen
May 1st, 2009, 08:52 AM
Does it work if you run "sudo /usr/local/bin/twitteridler" from the command line?

wizard10000
May 1st, 2009, 12:15 PM
So my suite mate wrote a really awesome bash script that he gave to me, and I'm working on a back up script. He runs 8.04lts and I run 9.04. He doesn't have any issues with his script by I can't seem to get it to run on my setup. The script detects inactivity at the keyboard and mouse then submits to the website Twitter whether to turn mobile device updates on or off. The script is placed in /usr/local/bin/ Then I create a cronjob for it by:
sudo crontab -e
* * * * * /usr/local/bin/twitteridler

I was wondering if anyone has any advice on how to get the script to run? Like I said my friend has no issues in 8.04 using the same exact setup. Thank you very much for all of your assistance.

I've had some cron issues with Jaunty as well - I reinstalled cron with synaptic and the problem went away. Can't explain it other than to say jobs in /etc/crontab weren't running and when I reinstalled cron they started working.

drumnmachn19
May 1st, 2009, 08:23 PM
I uninstalled it using Synaptic, but I am still having the same problem. Do I need to remove any hidden files in /etc/?