PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Nvidia driver not working properly.

shaolinmilk
May 1st, 2009, 03:51 AM
Hi, I recently installed Ubuntu 9.04 and just did an update right now. It updated some stuff and now my video driver is messed up. It's running low graphics mode and it's not recognizing my nvidia video card. The driver version I have installed is 1.80 and when I open up my Nvidia X server settings, it says the following:

You do not appear to be using the NVIDIA X driver. Please edit your X configuration file(just run 'nvidia-xconfig' as root), and restart the X server.

Can someone help? Thank you.

DustyMP
May 1st, 2009, 03:55 AM
Here's a link to a post that might be of help.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1136726&highlight=nvidia-xconfig

iansane
May 1st, 2009, 03:56 AM
well if it works the way it should, the error message means to open terminal and type

sudo nvidia-xconfig

Then

sudo /etc/init.d/gdm restart

I'm having problems with no nvidia drivers working but if yours was working before, maybe this will fix it.

shaolinmilk
May 1st, 2009, 04:14 AM
well if it works the way it should, the error message means to open terminal and type

sudo nvidia-xconfig

Then

sudo /etc/init.d/gdm restart

I'm having problems with no nvidia drivers working but if yours was working before, maybe this will fix it.
Hey!

Thank you so much! That worked.

iansane
May 1st, 2009, 04:19 AM
glad it worked for you. :-)

It's looking like I'm going to have to downgrade, go back to windows, or build a decent computer to get mine working. The more I learn about computers the more I hate this gateway pc.