PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] help with installation, want to use ext4

db4sn3r
May 1st, 2009, 02:53 AM
Hi all,

I am a very very very noobish Ubuntu user, I am going to install ubuntu 9.04 onto my samsung nc10. I was going through the menus looking for the new-fangled ext4 that I heard about from a friend who uses ubuntu also. I eventually found it in the advanced section of the installer, however, I have no idea what mount point I would like to do, how would I figure this out. I would like to install this next to some of my other partitions, not over the entire drive, what do I do? If you need to ask questions about my system I will gladly provide them, if I can figure out how to find the info you want that is. If you could tell me EXACTLY what to type in that would be amazing as I really don't want to mess my system up

Thank you all vey much it is greatly appreciated,
db4sn3r

yoasif
May 1st, 2009, 02:57 AM
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/partitioning

obviously use ext4 where it says ext3.

db4sn3r
May 1st, 2009, 03:09 AM
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/partitioning

obviously use ext4 where it says ext3.
so it should be / ? it says something about making a /home, but it says that is more of a backup type of thing, and in the diagram/photo on the site, it reads

Ubuntu / ext3

so which do you think I should use? sorry about being annoying, I really appreciate it!

yoasif
May 1st, 2009, 03:16 AM
I would make a separate /home but that is optional.

At the minimum, you need / and swap (make swap 1.5x the amount of ram in your machine -- if you have 2 gb, use 3 gb for swap).

20 gb for / and the rest for /home works well for most people, along with swap. if you have a smaller hard drive, obviously work with that.

db4sn3r
May 1st, 2009, 03:30 AM
hi I am again very sorry for botheringyou or anyone viewing this thread, but I got an error

Error informing the kernel about modifications to partition /dev/sda5 -- Device or resource busy. This means Linux won't know about any changes you made to /dev/sda5 until you reboot -- so you shouldn't mount it or use it in any way before rebooting.

I haven't hit the ignore button yet, is this a very bad error? I am not sure what sda5 contains, I don't know how to check without restarting the entire installer.

TheNosh
May 1st, 2009, 03:34 AM
I would make a separate /home but that is optional.

At the minimum, you need / and swap (make swap 1.5x the amount of ram in your machine -- if you have 2 gb, use 3 gb for swap).

20 gb for / and the rest for /home works well for most people, along with swap. if you have a smaller hard drive, obviously work with that.

actually swap is not required, just highly suggested. for instance gparted gives me an error messege if i try to make my hard drive in to more than 4 partitions. i got it with vista and a "RECOVERY" partition (which i'm not sure if i need cause i don't really care about vista but i'm to lazy to screw with it) and i insist on a separate /home for myself so that uses all four leaving no room for swap and i run jaunty just fine.

that being said, if at all possible you should tr to have a swap partition, separate /home is a good idea too so if you're comfortable setting it up go for it

TheNosh
May 1st, 2009, 03:46 AM
hi I am again very sorry for botheringyou or anyone viewing this thread, but I got an error

Error informing the kernel about modifications to partition /dev/sda5 -- Device or resource busy. This means Linux won't know about any changes you made to /dev/sda5 until you reboot -- so you shouldn't mount it or use it in any way before rebooting.

I haven't hit the ignore button yet, is this a very bad error? I am not sure what sda5 contains, I don't know how to check without restarting the entire installer.

never gotten that, personally i would do what it says and reboot , then try again

or google the error to see what if i can find any info on it