PDA

View Full Version : Any Other ATI Users Having a Hard TIme?

jimi_hendrix
May 1st, 2009, 02:31 AM
so 8.10 comes out and i download it. fglrx wont even activate, so its back to 8.04 for me because i like being able to scroll down screens without lag! Then i decide to give 9.04 a whirl, and it took a seconds worht of lag to minimize anything...getting better i guess?

i have also had a hard time with a lot of other distros and my gfx (ATI mobility hd 3470) card...anyone else having the same trouble?

garythegoth
May 1st, 2009, 02:34 AM
ATis Linux drivers are notorious for there unreliability and general suckiness....

jimi_hendrix
May 1st, 2009, 02:35 AM
ATis Linux drivers are notorious for there reliability and general suckiness....

i am aware of that but they went from flawless in 8.04 to terrible!

garythegoth
May 1st, 2009, 02:37 AM
How do you mean "from flawless"?

I like how easy to install the drivers are, but there performance and reliability have always been bad.

forrestcupp
May 1st, 2009, 02:39 AM
Were you using Compiz in 8.04? If not, maybe that's why it was flawless. Fglrx isn't bad if you're not using compositing.

Falcon1002
May 1st, 2009, 02:40 AM
I had trouble on 8.10 with my radeon 1270 (it would not resume from stand by). The problem went away after I downloaded the driver for my card from amd's web site.

jimi_hendrix
May 1st, 2009, 02:40 AM
How do you mean "from flawless"?

compiz with no lag, same with any 3d game i played

jimi_hendrix
May 1st, 2009, 02:41 AM
Were you using Compiz in 8.04? If not, maybe that's why it was flawless. Fglrx isn't bad if you're not using compositing.

see above

CharmyBee
May 1st, 2009, 02:43 AM
Did you try using it without compiz enabled? It's not like it's essential now is it?

garythegoth
May 1st, 2009, 02:43 AM
see above

Hmmm. Maybe the drivers work better for HD2000+ cards or something. My x1250 in my laptop is not a pleasant experience with FGLRX.

jimi_hendrix
May 1st, 2009, 02:44 AM
Did you try using it without compiz enabled? It's not like it's essential now is it?

yes

Saint Angeles
May 1st, 2009, 04:01 AM
with feisty and gutsy, i had to use a long, complicated, custom xorg.conf file to get FGLRX to run nicely. with hardy and intrepid, FGLRX was activated by default and I had no problems.

but with jaunty, it loaded the open source driver for me and i got full compositing even with the live CD! it was crazy. even my videos play with no choppiness and everything is better... except for one small thing.

sometimes, while resizing a video while running compiz, it will log me off. its really annoying so now i run metacity with compositing and only load up compiz when i want to show off for people.

C!oud
May 1st, 2009, 04:03 AM
I have been using the fglrx drivers for a while now without any problems at all.

garythegoth
May 1st, 2009, 04:07 AM
I have been using the fglrx drivers for a while now without any problems at all.

Can I buy your magical ATi card please?

lavinog
May 1st, 2009, 04:52 AM
The fglrx driver is generally pretty good.
The problem is that the support for 8.10 and 9.04 came a month after they were released, and ubuntu had to use a beta driver.
Both intrepid and Jaunty use newer Xserver versions that require changes to the fglrx drivers.

I think part of the problem had to do with changes in the dri2 spec right after ATI already implemented it.

Enicko
May 1st, 2009, 05:04 AM
8.04 works fine for me on one machine, Jaunty was poohoriffic through beta though. Both run on ATI cards.

Jaunty works now, but I needed professional help to get it running. And the fact that xinerama doesn't work, yea that's a buzzkill. The catalyst interface needs an update, looks like it belongs on a 10 year old windows machine.

ATI needs to get it together.

garythegoth
May 1st, 2009, 05:05 AM
Well, their supposedly concentrating all the resources they have into the Linux driver, but I dont exactly hold out much hope.....

pbpersson
May 1st, 2009, 05:09 AM
I have been using Jaunty with an ATI Radeon card, no problems - I am using wobbly windows and Gnome-Do Docky

garythegoth
May 1st, 2009, 05:23 AM
I have been using Jaunty with an ATI Radeon card, no problems - I am using wobbly windows and Gnome-Do Docky

Using the open source driver?

misfitpierce
May 1st, 2009, 06:26 AM
I'm on 9.04 with an ATI card in laptop and its working fine... 3D effects got smoother for me... Works great.

jimi_hendrix
May 1st, 2009, 11:58 AM

and why am i not able to even minimize windows on normal settings without lag? (the none setting seems to get rid of the minimize button on my decoration)

lavinog
May 1st, 2009, 04:27 PM
Something to mention:
The fglrx driver as of 9-4 will only work for newer cards.
Older cards (over 2 years old) will most likely have to use the open source driver.

If you want to say your driver works great or poorly, help out the community by posting what cards you are using.

I have a laptop with a Radeon 200m that is not supported by the new fglrx, but I havent tested it with the open source driver yet. (Will be after finals)

On my desktops I have a Radeon 3680 and a onboard Radeon 3200. Both work great with the 9-4 fglrx driver (with some display corruption in firefox, but that should be fixed next month).

garythegoth
May 1st, 2009, 04:32 PM
Something to mention:
The fglrx driver as of 9-4 will only work for newer cards.
Older cards (over 2 years old) will most likely have to use the open source driver.

If you want to say your driver works great or poorly, help out the community by posting what cards you are using.

I have a laptop with a Radeon 200m that is not supported by the new fglrx, but I havent tested it with the open source driver yet. (Will be after finals)

On my desktops I have a Radeon 3680 and a onboard Radeon 3200. Both work great with the 9-4 fglrx driver (with some display corruption in firefox, but that should be fixed next month).

It really shouldnt be a case of "fixed next month". nVidia can make decent drivers, why cant ATi?

Pasdar
May 1st, 2009, 04:41 PM
My experience with ATI 3470 on Ubuntu is not good at all. Pre 9.04 I couldn't install Ubuntu on my laptop at all, but I can install with 9.04. I had to disable compiz to get rid of the lag with everything I did.Though I tried nexius with compiz on and it worked great, but verything else sux, incleading video playback and what not. Disabling Compiz makes it a bit better... At least I don't get a lag with everything I do... I can play video's.. etc. Basically my GeForce 6200 on a slow PC outperforms my ATI 3470 on a high end laptop, lol.

hatten
May 1st, 2009, 04:48 PM
problem-free ATI-er here =P

lavinog
May 1st, 2009, 06:17 PM
It really shouldnt be a case of "fixed next month". nVidia can make decent drivers, why cant ATi?

The issue is a regression from the last release. ATI releases a new driver every month. nVidia releases when they determine that it is ready. ATI made a deal that they will release their drivers with/without bugs so that they can constantly be moving forward.
Currently nVidia has the better driver because they have a better history with linux, ATI only recently started treating the linux community with respect. ATI at least provided the documentation for the open sourced drivers. The open source driver for nVidia had to be reverse engineered.

Many bugs in Ubuntu have a 'fixed next release' solution.
These are things that happen when you use a release schedule.

days_of_ruin
May 1st, 2009, 06:22 PM
Do new ati gfx cards have problems?
Would this one (http://www.engadget.com/2009/04/28/ati-radeon-hd-4770-gpu-review-roundup/) work out of the box?

jmcboots
May 6th, 2009, 09:53 PM
Do new ati gfx cards have problems?
Would this one (http://www.engadget.com/2009/04/28/ati-radeon-hd-4770-gpu-review-roundup/) work out of the box?

It worked for me with a fresh install! Everything but xinerama. So my dual head set up is currently a "duplicate" head. But all the 3d effects, fades, wobblies, etc, all work at 1600x1200.

pandasonic
May 30th, 2009, 03:18 AM
I built a new PC with an ATI Radeon HD 4770. I'm running Jaunty (64-bit).

I installed the restricted drivers and then got the "AMD/ATI unsupported hardware" message on the bottom right corner of my screen. Installing Catalyst 9.5 from ATI's website fixed that. Compiz works just fine, but I cannot suspend/hibernate if it's enabled. Not having compositing enabled is fine by me.

However, I am unable to log out at all. Any time I try to log out, the screen will turn black and my system freezes.

Any ideas?

ATI is pissing me off. I got this card because it's cheap and works great with Windows but I'd love to be able to use my PC for something other than just playing games (which is what Windows is for).

Tipped OuT
May 30th, 2009, 03:53 AM
ATI Radeon 9100/9000 IGP with open source driver over here. :(

randyklein99
June 11th, 2009, 12:56 AM
I built a new PC with an ATI Radeon HD 4770. I'm running Jaunty (64-bit).

I installed the restricted drivers and then got the "AMD/ATI unsupported hardware" message on the bottom right corner of my screen. Installing Catalyst 9.5 from ATI's website fixed that. Compiz works just fine, but I cannot suspend/hibernate if it's enabled. Not having compositing enabled is fine by me.

However, I am unable to log out at all. Any time I try to log out, the screen will turn black and my system freezes.

Any ideas?

ATI is pissing me off. I got this card because it's cheap and works great with Windows but I'd love to be able to use my PC for something other than just playing games (which is what Windows is for).

I got the same problem. I had to use the RadeonHD without Acceleration to get the 4770 stable in 2D. No 3D yet though.