PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Boot from USB not saving settings

sharkbait13
May 1st, 2009, 02:14 AM
My interal hard drive had died a few days ago so until I can get a new HDD I decided to limp along by booting Ubuntu form my USB drive so I could save some of my settings. It worked like a charm with Intrepid but I just made a new one with Jaunty and it erases everything when I shutdown. Also before it boots I get a I/O error(don't have the exact code), for a little while than it works fine. Is there some settings that I have to change?

garythegoth
May 1st, 2009, 02:17 AM
My interal hard drive had died a few days ago so until I can get a new HDD I decided to limp along by booting Ubuntu form my USB drive so I could save some of my settings. It worked like a charm with Intrepid but I just made a new one with Jaunty and it erases everything when I shutdown. Also before it boots I get a I/O error(don't have the exact code), for a little while than it works fine. Is there some settings that I have to change?

Yeah Im having similar issue with Jaunty via a USB drive. If I was you I would get a new harddrive as soon as possible or switch to openSUSE for a bit. It seems to work far better for USB related media.

sharkbait13
May 1st, 2009, 02:18 AM
damn i was hoping it was just me, I like Jaunty cause it seems to be a little quicker and cleaner than Intrepid. Trust me as soon as I can get a new HDD I will

llamabr
May 1st, 2009, 02:19 AM
If you're using the usb as a livecd, then when you boot, everything should load into RAM. Any settings you change will be lost, because they're not saved to the usb, they're saved to your RAM.

To make changes in that way, you'd have to mount the usb partition, and then make the changes, and then save.

garythegoth
May 1st, 2009, 02:21 AM
damn i was hoping it was just me, I like Jaunty cause it seems to be a little quicker and cleaner than Intrepid. Trust me as soon as I can get a new HDD I will

Haha, unfortunately no, I think Jaunty should have held on for a couple of months before release. It seems very buggy and unstable in places. That said no version of Ubuntu will work very good for me via USB. You may want to try and just use a Live CD, and use the USB drive as storage from that. Or you could give openSUSE a try if you have access to a pc with a CD/DVD burner. Whichever suits you best.

sharkbait13
May 17th, 2009, 11:57 PM
How do you tell ubuntu where to save its setting to, 9.04 does give me an I/O error a few times but then it does boot. I am fine with that but would like to know if there is a way to save my settings to my external HDD rather than the usb that Jaunty is on.