PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Not able to use all screensavers

raguru
May 1st, 2009, 12:58 AM
Hi,

I am using Kubuntu 9.04. I think back when I upgraded to Kubuntu 8.10, initially I was not able to find any screensavers. Then I was able to get some to work, but I don't remember how I did it.

Now, when I look under /usr/lib/xscreensaver, I find lots of screensavers, like cubestorm, flying toasters, gears, etc. But when I go under System Settings and go to Screensaver, I can't find them. I have choices only for a few of them. Maybe a third of them. I would love to get the others to work.

Can anyone tell me how I can get those screensavers to show up so that I can user them?

Thanks in advance.

-Raghu

llamabr
May 1st, 2009, 01:03 AM
You have to install them. You can do so individually. I thought I remembered a package that comes with a million of them, but I'm not seeing it.

Anyway, install with apt or synaptic.

Ubuntiac
May 1st, 2009, 01:05 AM
I think you may need to install the kscreensaver-xsavers packages. You should be able to see them in System Settings -> Add / Remove Software / Software Management then search for kscreensavers.

raguru
May 1st, 2009, 03:16 AM
Thanks to both for your replies. I will try that and get back.

-Raghu

raguru
May 3rd, 2009, 01:40 AM
I finally got a chance to look at Synaptic and there were some installed under screensaver, but some were not. I don't remember what were there before and what I added. I also logged into GNOME and saw that all the screensavers were available there. So, back in Kubuntu, I added some packages and now its all working well. This is what I have now:

kscreensaver
screensaver-default-images
xscreensaver-data
xscreensaver-gl
xscreensaver
ktux
kscreensaver-xsavers-webcollage
kcometen4
xscreensaver-gl-extra
gnome-screensaver
xscreensaver-data-extra
kscreensaver-xsavers