PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] What does ../../common/common.mk mean?

newport_j
April 30th, 2009, 07:31 PM
What does the statement mean:

include ../../common/common.mk

I know what

cd ..

means, but I am unsure of this other one. I need to know because I am resetting some makefiles after an NVIDIA installation. I just need to what it means.

Thanks in advance.

Newport_j

kanikilu
April 30th, 2009, 07:36 PM
cd ../ # one directory up from current
cd ../../ # two directories up
cd ../../../ # three directories up
# and so on

decoherence
April 30th, 2009, 07:53 PM
kanikilu is correct. in plain english you read

as "include the file 'common.mk' which is in the directory 'common' which is in the parent directory of the parent directory of the current directory"

clear as mud! ;)

newport_j
May 1st, 2009, 02:45 PM

I know what

cd ..

means, but I am unsure of this other one. I need to know because I am resetting some makefiles after an NVIDIA installation. I just need to what it means.

Now I know that .. means to go to the parent directory, but what does ../../ mean?

Go to the parent of the parent? They talk about this in the Ubuntu Pocket Guide on pages 73 - 74 when Frank moves from the pictures to the music folder; and it seems to be on a whole new directory tree! Please explain this.

Thanks in advance.

Newport_j

original_jamingrit
May 1st, 2009, 02:51 PM
You're right, ../../ is the parent of a parent.

If, for example you are in the directory
/home/pete/play, then typing in the command:
cd ../../julie/work will change the directory to
/home/julie/work, when you are using most normal shell commands. ".." always means parent, "../.." is parent of a parent, "../../.." is parent of a parent of a parent, and so on.

And that's just the tip of the iceberg, as far as nifty shell tricks go.

kanikilu
May 1st, 2009, 03:14 PM

I know what

cd ..

Now I know that .. means to go to the parent directory, but what does ../../ mean?

Go to the parent of the parent? They talk about this in the Ubuntu Pocket Guide on pages 73 - 74 when Frank moves from the pictures to the music folder; and it seems to be on a whole new directory tree! Please explain this.

Thanks in advance.

Newport_j

Why the duplicate thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1144147)?

// Edit, nevermind, it appears they've been merged :)