PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problem with RFCOMM after upgrade to Jaunty



jobrahms
April 30th, 2009, 05:52 PM
A couple of weeks ago I set up my Motorola Q as a bluetooth modem using the instructions here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=629528

Everything worked perfectly. Then I upgraded to Jaunty. Here is the output of dial-motoq.sh:


Finding PDAnet Channel on MotoQ:
Dialing channel 1:
--> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.60
--> Cannot open /dev/rfcomm0: Permission denied
--> Cannot open /dev/rfcomm0: Permission denied
--> Cannot open /dev/rfcomm0: Permission denied

and this is what I get from trying to connect with rfcomm directly:


sudo rfcomm connect 00:1A:1B:1D:BF:AE 1
Can't connect RFCOMM socket: Host is down

Any ideas?

jtfowl0
May 1st, 2009, 04:41 AM
I have this same problem following an upgrade to jaunty. Anybody have any ideas?

jobrahms
May 8th, 2009, 03:37 AM
Anyone have any ideas?

mrsynock
May 11th, 2009, 01:05 PM
try to add 0 or 1 after connect:


sudo rfcomm connect 0 00:1A:1B:1D:BF:AE 1

to dial you need to do it with sudo. Since jeunty I can't connect anymore with simple user.

quixote_arg
May 11th, 2009, 06:12 PM
to dial you need to do it with sudo. Since jeunty I can't connect anymore with simple user.

Any particular reason and/or workaround for that?

mrsynock
May 11th, 2009, 07:33 PM
I think /dev/rfcomm doesn't have good permissions. But I only suppose.

jobrahms
May 12th, 2009, 03:02 PM
It looks like the "Host is down" problem might have been fixed in an update or something since I'm not seeing it anymore. Now it's giving me:


sudo dial-motoq.sh
Finding PDAnet Channel on MotoQ:
Dialing channel 2:
--> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.60
--> Cannot open /dev/rfcomm2: Permission denied
--> Cannot open /dev/rfcomm2: Permission denied
--> Cannot open /dev/rfcomm2: Permission denied

So I guess the permissions changed on those devices. So, I changed this line in dial-motoq.sh:


sudo -H -u \#1000 wvdial motoq$CHAN

to:


sudo -H wvdial motoq$CHAN

making that part of the script actually run as root instead of user 1000. Now it's working for me.