PDA

View Full Version : Load Windows or Ubuntu?

rdisanza
April 30th, 2009, 02:37 PM
Awhile back, I DL'd Ubuntu and noticed that then I booted, at the boot screen I was given a choice to load Windows or Linux, will that still happen now and not destroy my Windows OS?

Thanks in advace from a Linux (utuntu) NOOB!.

Niniel
April 30th, 2009, 02:44 PM
Awhile back, I DL'd Ubuntu and noticed that then I booted, at the boot screen I was given a choice to load Windows or Linux, will that still happen now and not destroy my Windows OS?
Thanks in advace from a Linux (utuntu) NOOB!.
Please don't hijack other people's threads, that's impolite. Make your own next time, and people will be happy to try and help you.

Regarding your question, I'm not sure what your problem is. You said you "downloaded" Ubuntu, but then it also sounds like you already installed it and that you got the boot manager working. Did you delete that installation? Do you want to install Ubuntu again?
Please clarify.

Sef
April 30th, 2009, 02:55 PM
Please don't hijack other people's threads, that's impolite. Make your own next time, and people will be happy to try and help you.

+1. So I moved your post and rdisanza's to their own thread.

Load Windows or Ubuntu?

Yes, Ubuntu will be the default, but you can boot into Windows, if you so choose.

rdisanza
April 30th, 2009, 02:59 PM
1000 apologies, won't happen again . Thanks

rdisanza
April 30th, 2009, 03:02 PM
Thanks for the prompt help. Yes, I did delete the original install and getting ready to do again. I just want to know with this latest version if I will once again have the choice of OS's at boot?

3rdalbum
April 30th, 2009, 03:05 PM
Thanks for the prompt help. Yes, I did delete the original install and getting ready to do again. I just want to know with this latest version if I will once again have the choice of OS's at boot?

Oh yes, as long as you don't tell the Ubuntu installer to "Use Entire Disk". Because that would erase Windows.

73ckn797
April 30th, 2009, 03:06 PM
I just want to know with this latest version if I will once again have the choice of OS's at boot?

Yes. The install will configure everything.

Niniel
April 30th, 2009, 03:07 PM
Yes, just make sure to install the Grub boot manager.
Also, you can change the default OS it loads. There's a neat program called KGrubEditor (you can get it from System/Administration/Synaptic Package Manager) that offers a GUI to administer Grub. Very neat. It needs some KDE libraries, so don't be surprised if a few packages have to be installed just for this one program.

lsemmens
April 30th, 2009, 03:50 PM
It would appear that there may be some problems with setting it up to dual boot as part of the instal. It failed for me and other people with whom I have web contact. It worked fine when I opted to blow away Windoze entirely and use the entire drive.

Mark Phelps
April 30th, 2009, 07:25 PM
Sorry, I don't have the specific thread citation, wish I did, but I've read in here about a bug with the 9.04 LiveCD installer regarding recognizing and using existing partitions. It wouldn't work for me, so I downloaded and used the Alternate CD -- which worked fine.

rdisanza
May 1st, 2009, 02:53 PM
Ok Gentlemen, thank you for the input. Much appreciated and I will report my results to maybe help someone else.

Regards,