PDA

View Full Version : Random lag & sound cuts

Bios Element
April 30th, 2009, 06:07 AM
So I've been running Steam to play Zombie Panic: Source (Same engine as Half Life 2.) for the past few months but recently I've been having some strange bugs.

1). Every 30 seconds or so I have a 1-3 second lag spike where everything just freezes and CPU usage drops off.

2). After maybe 30 minutes of play (Average, It sometimes cuts out earlier/later.) Sound randomly stops being sent to pulseaudio. Banshee works just fine still but I have to re-start the entire application to get sound back.

Anyone have any tips or ideas of what Might be up?

Thanks for your time.

cogadh
April 30th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Try running it without Pulse:

pasuspend wine foo.exe

u235sentinel
April 30th, 2009, 05:23 PM
So I've been running Steam to play Zombie Panic: Source (Same engine as Half Life 2.) for the past few months but recently I've been having some strange bugs.

1). Every 30 seconds or so I have a 1-3 second lag spike where everything just freezes and CPU usage drops off.

2). After maybe 30 minutes of play (Average, It sometimes cuts out earlier/later.) Sound randomly stops being sent to pulseaudio. Banshee works just fine still but I have to re-start the entire application to get sound back.

Anyone have any tips or ideas of what Might be up?

Thanks for your time.

I would disable pulseaudio. I've had nothing but headaches with it in 8.04. Not sure if jaunty fixed it up but 8.04 it's a mess.

also what version of wine are you running? You might want to check out 1.1.20 and see if that helps.

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=14112

Looks like it has a gold rating but there was a suggestion of configuring WINE so it runs under windows 98 environment. Might be something to try

Bios Element
April 30th, 2009, 06:30 PM
I would disable pulseaudio. I've had nothing but headaches with it in 8.04. Not sure if jaunty fixed it up but 8.04 it's a mess.

also what version of wine are you running? You might want to check out 1.1.20 and see if that helps.

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=14112

Looks like it has a gold rating but there was a suggestion of configuring WINE so it runs under windows 98 environment. Might be something to try

Aye, I'll try disabling pulseaudio and see where that gets me. And yes, I forgot to mention I'm using the wine ppa.