PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] DVD Ripping/Backup

Law506
April 30th, 2009, 04:46 AM
Been sitting here for awhile trying to get one of my dvd's backed up to my hard drive and have no success. Been reading around and tried numerous programs and have had the most success with k9copy, but when I go to actually convert the DVD it never progresses. Saw a few posts about not having the right codecs and I believe I have gotten all but libdvdcss2 which I can't seem to install correctly.

Any suggestions on a program? I am sure this DVD is encrypted and this is why I am having issues.

Thanks. :)

alphacrucis2
April 30th, 2009, 04:49 AM
Been sitting here for awhile trying to get one of my dvd's backed up to my hard drive and have no success. Been reading around and tried numerous programs and have had the most success with k9copy, but when I go to actually convert the DVD it never progresses. Saw a few posts about not having the right codecs and I believe I have gotten all but libdvdcss2 which I can't seem to install correctly.

Any suggestions on a program? I am sure this DVD is encrypted and this is why I am having issues.

Thanks. :)

Have you set up the medibuntu repositories:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu

Law506
April 30th, 2009, 04:53 AM
Been trying to but keep getting errors with each attempt. I will check out your link. Thanks.

Found another page and followed it, checked out the one you provided in the previous post already, one of the first. It is installed now.. going to test.

and it didn't work..

Law506
April 30th, 2009, 05:06 AM
Alright, restarted the system for safe measure and it appears to be working. Turns out the now there is a problem converting the sound to mp3, anyone know that codec? k9copy didn't give me the required codec needed. Thanks for the help.

anjilslaire
April 30th, 2009, 05:28 AM
sudo apt-get install lame

Should give you mp3 playback functionality, which might be the cause if you don't have it already, which seems to be the case.

logos34
April 30th, 2009, 05:37 AM
make sure you also have the codecs metapackage:

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras

Law506
April 30th, 2009, 07:03 PM
I had the restricted drivers installed as well. Loooked around the list of codecs on k9copy and found mp3 (lame) as an option vice mp3 and this worked. I am able to rip now!

Thanks for the help :guitar: