PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] I fouled my network connection......help?

KatmanHH
April 30th, 2009, 01:20 AM
Okay, a couple a days ago I tried to hook up my Ubuntu 8.04 to a network drive in our office. Didn't work. Since then my network connection has been acting up worse and worse. Firefox has been continually telling me something about firefox and a continuous loop redirect. ( I can't remember the exact words and firefox won't open now). I was searching for an answer to the problem and someone suggested running this in the terminal.

sudo apt-get --purge network-manager net-tools.

Reboot and then run

sudo apt-get install network-manager net-tools.

The first one worked great, of course but the second one errored out with "method http died unexpectedly". That is the error I get with anything I type in the terminal now including sudo apt-get update and ifconfig. Typing "ping www.google.com" gets me nothing.

Someone tell me, did I stuff the whole thing or what do I need to do to get my connection back.

Within a week or two I am going to format this drive and install XP and move this Ubuntu install and data to a newer machine so I could just push it off and reinstall but I am trying to learn everything I can about Linux and would like to fix it just for the experience.

Thanks.

KatmanHH
April 30th, 2009, 04:44 PM
Never mind. Formatting the drive so this thread can be closed and deleted. Its of no value.