PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] 8.10 and up Xine and Gstremaer have problems with mp4 videos

FelixLR
April 29th, 2009, 08:25 AM
First of all excuse my bad english.

Kaffeine and all xine based players have problems with mp4 videos, when I test if video seek is working fine and click randomly at the progress bar, video reproduces well but audio gets completely out of sync, testing my mp4 videos usually plays well until 6-7 minutes have passed (also i can randomly seek within the first 6-7 minutes without problems) in Kaffeine video simply shows the first frame and stops in xine-ui appears a message indicating the amount of dropped frames is too high or the system is not optimized or is slow, if I click a bit ahead in the progress bar video continues reproducing fine but audio is out of sync.
For gstreamer based players like mplayer or kplayer player shows video length is 3-4 minutes instead of the 20 mins it lasts, usually after the indicator reaches the end of the progress bar the video continues playing but this makes seek the video imposible.

I'm 100% sure it is not a problem related to the video file,VLC reproduces those mp4 videos nicely but VLC since 8.10 has the problem of a separated video window from the interface which is very annoying. In windows I have no problem at all reproducing those videos (I use klite codec pack in windows).

To solve this I tried installing and reinstalling xine/gstreamer libraries and codecs, enabling medibuntu repositories and reinstall all multimedia related packages but nothing seems to work.

EDIT: This isn't a 8.10+ problem only,I've tested the 8.04 machine with the mp4 files mentioned and the problem is present too, I tought it was a problem related to version because all MP4 files in the 8.04 machine reproduced well, it seems the MP4 files that are giving me problems are codified in a particular way that makes xine and Gstreamer produce those errors.