PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubnutu server 8.10 graphing htlm reports

thefatmoop
April 29th, 2009, 08:06 AM
Hi everyone

I run a bunch of virtual machines on server 8.10 and i'd like to keep track of the master server's bandwidth usage.

Are there any easy/popular programs that will keep track of what's going on and (i hope) generate an html output with visuals? (including users who logged in, bandwidth graphs, some log tails...etc)

thanks alot

smeerbartje
April 29th, 2009, 09:38 AM
Hi everyone

I run a bunch of virtual machines on server 8.10 and i'd like to keep track of the master server's bandwidth usage.

Are there any easy/popular programs that will keep track of what's going on and (i hope) generate an html output with visuals? (including users who logged in, bandwidth graphs, some log tails...etc)

thanks alot

Just Google a bit and you will find out that there are a lot of bandwith monitoring tools. My favorite: vnstat. It generated output to console and/or webpage/mail/etc.

samosamo
April 29th, 2009, 05:37 PM
You're looking for what is called an NMS. No datacenter should be without one. I personally use Cacti. Since you are running a VM server, go ahead and download CactiEZ, which is a CentOS based Cacti server CD. Comes with Nagios, Webmin, all the goodies. I have it tracking ~10 servers with SNMP. Things like interface bandwidth, disk space, CPU utilization, load times. If configured it can email you when it sees problems.

thefatmoop
April 30th, 2009, 12:16 AM
i just did sudo apt-get install cacti....
how do i access it, where did it end up being installed..?

wsonar
April 30th, 2009, 12:17 AM
does this do tempature also?

thefatmoop
April 30th, 2009, 07:38 AM
good program, but installing new plugins seems to be a pain

samosamo
April 30th, 2009, 03:26 PM
does this do tempature also?

It does anything SNMP is capable of doing. So yes. Mine gets info from lm_sensors and hddtemp.

good program, but installing new plugins seems to be a pain

I agree. They do not have a very good plugin system. That is why I recommended installing the full CactiEZ OS with all the plugins done already. It's the easiest solution unless you want to wrestle with adding plugins yourself.