PDA

View Full Version : CAREFUL: Firefox 3.0.10 upgrade may not complete fully!

Kareeser
April 29th, 2009, 04:24 AM
Hey guys,

Quick message out there to not upgrade to 3.0.10, which was released earlier today into the repos.

For some reason, the upgrade locks up the computer, and does not complete. Firefox is unusable afterwards as /usr/lib/firefox-3.0.10/firefox.sh is completely empty.

I thought it was just me, but reports are coming in now (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1142163) that other peoples' updates were botched.

This is significant in that Ubuntu by default only comes with one browser! I had no clue this was so significant until I simply had no browser to use. Heh.

YMMV!

Workaround:
Install the package "firefox-3.5" and run with /usr/bin/firefox-3.5

FuturePilot
April 29th, 2009, 04:43 AM
By any chance using Ext4?

Icehuck
April 29th, 2009, 04:46 AM
I just upgraded before reading this post and I thought, "Oh Crap!" Though it looks like my upgrade completed just fine.

Sef
April 29th, 2009, 04:48 AM

I use ext4, and it upgraded just fine for me.

kostkon
April 29th, 2009, 04:50 AM
I don't think that there is a widespread problem, only the usual small number of cases where for some reason the update manager crashed during the update or Firefox is not loading because it wasn't restarted etc...

Kareeser
April 29th, 2009, 04:50 AM
Okay... I'm glad others updated properly. I was hoping that this wouldn't be another "Python-2.6 is borked!"-like occurance :)

Looks like the two cases (mine and the other thread linked) are the only two so far.

May have been because we were both running firefox during the upgrade.

pwnst*r
April 29th, 2009, 05:09 AM
way to jump the gun.

ghindo
April 29th, 2009, 05:29 AM
I had no troubles. Have you considered filing a bug report?

hanzomon4
April 29th, 2009, 05:37 AM
Had/have? troubles 3.5 segfaults before it even starts

lisati
April 29th, 2009, 05:39 AM
Different repos? Different config on your system?
I'm currently on a machine using 8.10, XFCE, and a freshly updated FF 3.0.10, haven't noticed any problems so far.

vkm2
April 29th, 2009, 05:49 AM
Yes, I am having this problem. Using 8.04LTS and Gnome, Synaptic updated Firefox to 3.0.8 yesterday, and then firefox became unusable. Today there was a 3.0.9 update but it is still unusable. Clicking on the firefox icon brings up nothing.

Help!

Hey guys,

Quick message out there to not upgrade to 3.0.10, which was released earlier today into the repos.

For some reason, the upgrade locks up the computer, and does not complete. Firefox is unusable afterwards as /usr/lib/firefox-3.0.10/firefox.sh is completely empty.

I thought it was just me, but reports are coming in now (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1142163) that other peoples' updates were botched.

This is significant in that Ubuntu by default only comes with one browser! I had no clue this was so significant until I simply had no browser to use. Heh.

YMMV!

Workaround:
Install the package "firefox-3.5" and run with /usr/bin/firefox-3.5

lovinglinux
April 29th, 2009, 05:51 AM
I was running Firefox during the update, I'm using ext4 and everything is fine.

samjh
April 29th, 2009, 05:52 AM

Ext4 here, and no problem with the update.

Saint Angeles
April 29th, 2009, 05:59 AM
I was running Firefox during the update, I'm using ext4 and everything is fine.
same here... thank god!

Irihapeti
April 29th, 2009, 05:59 AM
Just upgraded with no problems. Having read the other messages, I closed Firefox first just to be safe. Running 8.04 here.

The first time I clicked on the Firefox icon, a small window came up very briefly in the middle of the screen, and then nothing further happened. The second time, Firefox launched. I've seen this happen on a number of occasions and have no idea what it's about.

Yashiro
April 29th, 2009, 10:12 AM
People complain after every Firefox update.

Pasdar
April 29th, 2009, 10:15 AM
Ext4 32Bit here, no problem after upgrade.

darrenn
April 29th, 2009, 10:41 AM
Works fine for me did you close firefox before you tried to upgrade?

Pasdar
April 29th, 2009, 11:14 AM
PS: Whenever I see that firefox is about to be updated, I close Firefox just before it finishes download of updates (after which it will install). I advice you to do the same.

Orlsend
April 29th, 2009, 11:17 AM

Thats so True.

I Upgraded today, I am on Jaunty and have no Troubles...

Giant Speck
April 29th, 2009, 11:21 AM

Yes, but normally people compain about Firefox's performance, not whether or not it installed correctly in the first place.

Dai Bando
April 29th, 2009, 12:18 PM
I had no problems at all, but I did follow the instructions and rebooted Firefox.

Dale61
April 29th, 2009, 12:59 PM
I saw that there was a FF update, so started the download, then closed FF until it had finished.

Restarted - no problems.

SuperSonic4
April 29th, 2009, 01:01 PM
Working perfectly on the 32bit laptop and 64bit desktop. Both using ext4

Kareeser
April 29th, 2009, 03:03 PM
Correct. Since the update breaks firefox by freezing the computer, the package is not fully installed, and the script /usr/lib/firefox-3.0/firefox.sh is empty.

As Firefox is the only browser installed by default on Ubuntu, if it's broken, a lot of people are going to be stumped with a non-working browser.

pwnst*r
April 29th, 2009, 03:12 PM
Correct. Since the update breaks firefox by freezing the computer, the package is not fully installed, and the script /usr/lib/firefox-3.0/firefox.sh is empty.

As Firefox is the only browser installed by default on Ubuntu, if it's broken, a lot of people are going to be stumped with a non-working browser.

except it's only you and a few people so far. you should work for the media.

BGFG
April 29th, 2009, 03:19 PM
Just checked, 3.0.10 fine here. i use Shiretoko though. May have been your repo or an update manager bug.

Ubudireh
April 29th, 2009, 08:06 PM
Just thought i would drop a quick note here to mention that I, too, had the same trouble (EXT3, I think). Am about to try the fix and see what happens.

Hmm. Did try to get the install package as suggested, but was told i need to fix my dpkg problem first (see http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=7177952 for the rest of my boggle). So, i seem to be going in circles here: can't get fix it without the dpkg thing sorted, but can't get that done since there's a problem with something else.

speedwell68
April 29th, 2009, 10:29 PM
It updated fine here. I always close all applications when running the update manager, I just think it is a good idea to do so. There is no logic or prior knowledge behind me closing all apps it is just something I do.

Kareeser
April 29th, 2009, 10:34 PM
except it's only you and a few people so far. you should work for the media.

Case-in-point, note the third person who's experienced a problem.

To quote an esteemed FCC chairman:

Gentlemen, we got 20 calls about the David Hyde-Pierce incident. And as you know, one call equals a billion people, which means 20 billion people were offended by this. Needless to say, something must be done.

I jest, but in truth, imagine what would happen if the UK hadn't established quarantine and eradication practices for the cows with mad cow disease.

Imagine today if instead of warning you about Swing Flu, your government decided to cross their fingers and hope for the best.

It's a crude analogy, but it kinda works.

nm4m
May 2nd, 2009, 04:30 AM
Firefox 3.0.10 is broken here. Was running 8.10 64bit, all was well. Upgraded. For those who are belittling the problem, consider that folks without a browser, and not much experience, can't come up here to post, now can they?

Did all the standards;
rebooted
chown in the .mozilla directory
deleted the .mozilla directory
uninstalled firefox
reinstalled firefox
uninstalled firefox and flash
reinstalled firefox and flash
tried running firefox in safe mode

Nothing has worked. I have Opera on here from a previous install, so I at least have that browser.

All else seems to be fine so far, but admittedly haven't dug too hard. Thurderbird still works.

Open office still works. Pidgin works fine.

I'm sure it will be something querky since it is only impacting a few. It will take some time to find it, but sure it will work out.

Now, where did I put the book marks? Got to import my morning reading material (comics).

Good evening.

Dave
NM4M

nm4m
May 2nd, 2009, 04:58 AM
Just noticed that if I click on the left side of the screen that comes up when I start Firefox, sections of it come up very malformed.

As an example. Furthest to the left is the File menu. When I click on the blank screen, all the way to the left, the complete left edge of the window highlights, and a menu goes across the top of the complete gnome screen with the choice for the menu.

This keeps happening, moving left to right for the various menus. File, Edit, Tools Bookmarks, and so on. Interesting. Everything else displays fine, but Firefox is completely borked. Wild.

Dave
NM4M

adamlau
May 2nd, 2009, 07:45 AM
You can always try my portable 3.0.10 PGO (w/o Java) builds: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1137488

Capt2836
May 2nd, 2009, 05:41 PM
Okay... I'm glad others updated properly. I was hoping that this wouldn't be another "Python-2.6 is borked!"-like occurance :)

Looks like the two cases (mine and the other thread linked) are the only two so far.

May have been because we were both running firefox during the upgrade.

On my system (Asus EeePC1000/Linux running Easy Peasy from SDHC card) the Firefox 3.0.10 update has definitely not gone well.

System runs fine until I try to run Firefox 3.0.10 - then get an alert whilst trying to load Firefox, home page does not load correctly (but is OK when press "Home" icon). After this, various systems will not work - Update Manager hangs whilst loading, Terminal will not load, Synaptic will not load, "File Manager" will not load various folders (File System etc).

I cannot remember whether Firefox was running or not, but suspect that it was not as I am also a Windows suffer and thus well used to shutting everything possible before upgrading!

nm4m
May 2nd, 2009, 08:54 PM
I need to find out how to load a previous version of firefox. I need to get it back online.

Thanks

Dave
NM4M

Kareeser
May 3rd, 2009, 01:21 AM
nm4m, have you tried uninstalling firefox completely?

sudo apt-get purge firefox-3.0
sudo apt-get install firefox-3.0

Note that the package is "firefox-3.0", NOT "firefox", that is only the meta-package.

nm4m
May 3rd, 2009, 02:35 AM
Interesting stuff. Thanks much for suggesting it. I played with it quite a bit. Purging and reinstalling. At one point got an error about realplayer, in the terminal window, concerning plugin. I then went through and manually removed all of the realplayer files throughout the computer (locate realplay, delete all the files in the list manually, then sudo updatedb, and locate realplay and nothing showed up).

But still get a blank screen. It has to be something with my display and the new firefox. I can click on parts of the window when firefox is open and it shows the listing of the menus across the top of the whole gnome desktop. But I can never see anything inside the frame of the firefox window.

Been playing with Linux for a long time, and haven't seen anything like this.

Thanks for the shot though.

Dave
NM4M

visionaire
May 3rd, 2009, 05:14 AM
No problem for me,i'm in Hardy

hotweiss
May 3rd, 2009, 06:29 AM
3.0.10 is working for me perfectly. 3.0.09 was causing my system to freeze.

nm4m
May 5th, 2009, 07:28 AM
Seems to be some problems out there. None of these were a fix for me.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xulrunner-1.9/+bug/360923

Dave
NM4M

XubuRoxMySox
May 5th, 2009, 01:00 PM
Small issue... my ScribeFire add-on won't work. But other than that no problems.

skiffler
May 6th, 2009, 09:10 PM
I too have a problem with 3.0.10. I upgraded (online) from 8.04 to 9.04 (via 8.10). Firefox generally fine until I click on any streaming media (anything on the BBC site for instance). It starts streaming video but there is no sound and then, after about 20 secs Firefox closes itself. I've purged and reinstalled but nothing changes. I'm no Linux expert unfortunately but had no problems prior to Jaunty upgrade. Something's happened somewhere.

skiffler
May 6th, 2009, 09:34 PM
Interesting...

I noticed that Epiphany came as part of Jaunty. I launched it, went to the BBC site and tried to play some streaming video and after a few seconds that too closed, so it seems that the problem is not to do with Firefox at all, but is a more deep routed problem. Before heading off elsewhere, would anyone have any ideas of where to start looking?