PDA

View Full Version : Billengual Speaking People?

Dr.Vista
April 29th, 2009, 02:34 AM
Just curiosity, who here speaks more than one language? I speak English, Spanish, and a little bit of French.

C!oud
April 29th, 2009, 02:44 AM
The lovely language of swedish and the ugly language of english :p

Edit: forgot to add that I'm fluent in French as well, however it's not my native tongue.

ubuntu27
April 29th, 2009, 02:49 AM
I speak Japanese, Spanish, and English fluently.
And I also speak a little bit of French.

I contribute to the OpenSource and Free Software community by translating software.

U-Bom-2
April 29th, 2009, 02:51 AM
English, Spanish and Martian

Dr.Vista
April 29th, 2009, 03:04 AM
Thats great. Wow, I just released I spelled Bilingual incorrectly. :/

gnomeuser
April 29th, 2009, 03:06 AM
I speak Danish, English, a bit of French and I am learning Brazilian Portuguese.

sisco311
April 29th, 2009, 03:10 AM
I speak Hungarian(my mother tongue) and Romanian fluently.

I understand English, a little bit of German and Italian.

Grant A.
April 29th, 2009, 03:12 AM
Inglés es mi idioma primer y Español es mi idioma secundo.

Translation:

English is my first language, and Spanish is my second language.

lovinglinux
April 29th, 2009, 03:48 AM
I speak Brazilian Portuguese and English. I understand Spanish.

They tried to teach me German in school, but was a "no go".

ninjapirate89
April 29th, 2009, 03:52 AM
I only speak Engrish :(

Edit -> Although I did take two years of American Sign Language in High School.

MikeTheC
April 29th, 2009, 04:20 AM
I wish Mark Okrand would flesh out (and actually really create) the Vulcan language. That would be cool to learn.

Daisuke_Aramaki
April 29th, 2009, 04:23 AM
Guess there was a similar thread here at the Cafe. anyway, fluent in English, German, Tamil, Hindi. Survive in Japanese, Can understand Navajo, but can't speak.

Sinkingships7
April 29th, 2009, 04:28 AM
Thats great. Wow, I just released I spelled Bilingual incorrectly. :/

*realized

juancarlospaco
April 29th, 2009, 04:28 AM
Español, Castellano, Gallego, Python, English, British, and Clingon.

ibuclaw
April 29th, 2009, 04:30 AM
I speak the languages of English, Bad English, Polish, C, Perl, and Notation Music :)

Quake
April 29th, 2009, 04:31 AM
Je parle français: I speak french.
I speak english: I speak english.
O kan nhdar b darija: And I speak Moroccan (darija)

C!oud
April 29th, 2009, 04:34 AM
Guess there was a similar thread here at the Cafe. anyway, fluent in English, German, Tamil, Hindi. Survive in Japanese, Can understand Navajo, but can't speak.

Navajo, where in the world did you ever pick up that and for what purpose?

fornix
April 29th, 2009, 04:34 AM
I speak English, Malayalam, Hindi, Marathi and a bit of Spanish.

abn91c
April 29th, 2009, 04:36 AM
English, Spanish, enough german to get directions, order food and can understand some Portuguese

Sinkingships7
April 29th, 2009, 04:40 AM
I speak C, bad C++, Python, some LISP, Java, and others. Many people's first language is drooling and a bit of nonsense; the sounds you make when you have to poop. Mine was QBasic. They're kinda the same, but Qbasic taught me how to goto places faster than crawling.

Oh, and I speak English quite fluently.

Macchi
April 29th, 2009, 04:52 AM
Completely fluent in body language :)

PS: In sober conditions fluent English, Swedish and brazilian Portuguese in speech and writing. In less sober conditions I might add Italian and Spanish to this list.
Once fluent in writing quite many computer languages, but I don't seem to have time for these things nowadays.

Daisuke_Aramaki
April 29th, 2009, 05:26 AM
Navajo, where in the world did you ever pick up that and for what purpose?

Mom's half Jap, half Navajo. it was a prestige thing for my grandfather, but i did not grow up in the us, and visited very rarely, so i made a compromise with him that i will try my best to at least understand the language. same thing with my grandparents from Japanese side. but spent a lot of time in japan and india growing up, so more fluent in them than navajo.

TheLastDodo
April 29th, 2009, 05:49 AM
Just curiosity, who here speaks more than one language? I speak English, Spanish, and a little bit of French.

English, Polish, German, French, Spanish and Japanese.

lisati
April 29th, 2009, 05:57 AM
I speak C, bad C++, Python, some LISP, Java, and others. Many people's first language is drooling and a bit of nonsense; the sounds you make when you have to poop. Mine was QBasic. They're kinda the same, but Qbasic taught me how to goto places faster than crawling.

Oh, and I speak English quite fluently.
(EDIT: Almost forgot that I'd clicked on "quote": QBasic is an interesting one to come_from (http://www.fortran.com/come_from.html))

English, with a few colourful words (or is that colorful?) thrown in from time to time for good measure, and a little bit of Samoan, a few words and phrases from both Maori and Dutch,
They tried to teach me French and Latin at school, but most of it has been forgotten.

HermanAB
April 29th, 2009, 06:10 AM
Hmm, lessee, Afrikaans Nederlands, English, German, some French, some Hebrew and of course Amerikin and Canadian eh...

Irihapeti
April 29th, 2009, 06:15 AM
When I first read the title, I thought it referred to people who are fluent in more than one language for long periods of time. Well, that's NOT me.

But if we are talking about languages we have learned and can use if we have to, then I suppose I could say French, German, Italian (from far-off school days), Spanish and Maori. Some are more rusty than others. :)

I've just acquired a charming Chinese daughter-in-law, so learning Mandarin is going to be my next adventure.

juancarlospaco
April 29th, 2009, 06:25 AM
I don't speak english, y tampoco hablo español, muito brigado...

Eisenwinter
April 29th, 2009, 08:34 AM
I speak Hebrew and English fluently.

amitabhishek
April 29th, 2009, 08:53 AM
I am very weak in grasping languages. So its only Hindi and English for me.

mingtien
April 29th, 2009, 08:53 AM
Speak, Read, Write: French, English, Spanish

Speak/get by in: Cantonese, Mandarin, Thai (will never be able to write any of those, and I've given up)

Basic (food, taxi, flirting, drinking): Japanese, German

Pasdar
April 29th, 2009, 09:01 AM
I'm fluent in three languages, and so is my son (3y5m old). I was also fluent in two other languages, but because of not using it for years, I forgot how to speak. Though from those two languages I still understand spoken German fluently.

gaffurabi
April 29th, 2009, 09:14 AM
imho bilinguality (or more) sucks!

i speak bulgarian and turkish as my mother tongues. english and danish as foreign langugages.why it sucks is that you keep mixing the grammar/logic. especially when you switch to turkish, which has 180° different logic than the others.

ndefontenay
April 29th, 2009, 09:26 AM
I speak french english, mauritian kreol, thai and a bit of japanese.

I learned german at school but don't remember most of it can read though.

billgoldberg
April 29th, 2009, 09:37 AM
This kind of thread has been created a dozen times.

Dutch, French, English, German.

My German is a bit rusty, but I can manage myself.

Oh and West-Flemish :p:p

Lifelock
April 29th, 2009, 09:58 AM
Well, I speak four languages: Dutch (mothertongue), English, German and French.

Living in England, English is my main language at the moment. For my work I need to read, write and present in English, regardless of my location. I have also lived in Germany and France, which helps out in learning the languages :).

Orlsend
April 29th, 2009, 10:09 AM
I Speak Spanish,English and Arabic. In that order. I been learning Arabic for about 5.5 years now, Spanish is my mother tongue. I learnt English in 8 months when my parents left me In the States while going to Spain for a business trip. I have sadly a strong American accent... Though I kinda lost my Venezuelan Spanish accent :C