PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Thinkpad T61 wireless [atheros card] instability with Jaunty

FatalChaos
April 28th, 2009, 10:47 PM
Anyone else having instability with wireless internet with Jaunty? I've noticed that my wireless connection has been disconnecting far more often than it did with 8.10. I've also noticed that in areas with weaker wireless connections, the mass connecting/disconnecting i've been experiencing has caused my laptop to freeze up completely. I did use ubuntu tweak to change random non network related stuff, so I will do a clean reinstall at some point to confirm my experiences.

jcat1
April 29th, 2009, 10:42 PM
Having the same problem myself on t61. Seems like my home network works fine, but at school the wireless connection is really unreliable. At school the connection is authenticated based on MAC address while at home I'm using WPA2 (not sure if this makes any difference).

Any ideas?

FatalChaos
May 3rd, 2009, 06:26 AM
Apparenntly the problem is that the new ath0 wireless driver isn't quite ready for prime time. To fix this, go to system, admininstration, hardware drivers, and enable the alternate madwifi driver. This hsould fix everything.