View Full Version : [ubuntu] Intermittent Internet Connection Problems

April 28th, 2009, 06:11 PM

This is a very frustrating problem.
For a few months, I had 8.10 installed on this hp pavilion dv2000. Internet worked (both wired and wireless). Then the hd failed, and it had some other issues with freezing up at all times, whether in an OS or installing one, then it finally quit booting at all. Sent it to hp, they fixed it and sent it back. When it got back, it was a day or two after 9.04 was released, but I hadn't downloaded it yet (typing and working mainly on an acer aspire 9410z running 8.10 and xp dual boot). Had my girlfriend install from a 7.10 cd I had laying around. It installed fine, but no internet. Hoping to avoid the headache of getting the internet to work (which as i recall turned into a big ordeal last time I had to fuss with it when I installed on her comp), I finished downloading the 9.10 cd and tried installing. It failed on install, saying something about either a bad hd (unlikely since it's brand new) or a bad cd/dvd drive or to try to put it in a cooler environment.
So I say oh well, grab an 8.04 cd and try to install that. Install worked fine, but when it all got done I have no internet.

I've tried a few things, like manually setting the ip address, MAC address and subnet. tried with wired connection in both roaming mode and auto DHCP. tried turning off the modem, turning off the computer, turning on the modem, turning on the computer, none of this works.

As of now I need to leave for work, but I'm having my gf try to install 7.10 with the internet connected, hoping that it will work (as I seem to recall that it did). If not, I'm looking for any help I can get.

April 29th, 2009, 08:15 AM
Uh nevermind. Reinstalled with the 7.10 cd, internet worked, then upgraded to 8.04, now upgrading to 8.10 and then to 9.04. Lots of upgrading....