PDA

View Full Version : Has Desktop Linux Missed its Opportunity?

sulekha
April 28th, 2009, 05:48 AM
Hi all,

see this http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/163880/has_desktop_linux_missed_its_opportunity.html

linux5uper
April 28th, 2009, 06:26 AM
no

Eisenwinter
April 28th, 2009, 06:37 AM
It doesn't even matter.

cb951303
April 28th, 2009, 06:39 AM
random guy, random rumblings.

I read the part where he denies linux for enterprise use, laughed and stopped reading.

Anthon
April 28th, 2009, 06:40 AM
certainly not

Dr. C
April 28th, 2009, 06:51 AM
The year of the "Linux Desktop" delivering Microsoft Windows a swift and painless death will never come. GNU / Linux will kill Microsoft Windows eventually but it will be a very slow and painful death. Like a very slow growing cancer that takes a decade or more to develop and another decade or more to slowly and painfully kill its victim. The agony will be prolonged by software piracy that will keep the terminal patient on artificial life and further prolong the pain.

Steve Ballmer was right on the money with his "cancer" analogy because that is exactly how Free Software (including GNU / Linux) will kill the propriety software model led by Microsoft, slowly and painfully.

Take a look at how Firefox is slowly but surely eating away at IE. It has been over a decade since the source was released as Free Software. GNU has been around for nearly a quarter century before SCO for example met its fate.

Desktop Linux has not missed any opportunity, it is just taking its time.

ndefontenay
April 28th, 2009, 07:12 AM
random guy, random rumblings.

I read the part where he denies linux for enterprise use, laughed and stopped reading.

I don't agree with that. A lot of it makes sense.
The fact that it's all so confusing with all the distros when a decision maker is trying to figure if it's worth it.

The fact that IT budget is actually not that much compared to salary for instance.

A lot of it makes sense.

There has been successful switches but it was not cost driven it was passion from a CTO at the price of huge efforts of teaching every users and so on. An effort not worth it for most businesses.

Instead of rejecting critics, we should seriously think our marketing model and our advocacy model, have a nice model to train professionals on linux.

The strength of Microsoft and MAC is our inability to think along one line. Which is the nature of open source since we can re-use and distribute.

Delever
April 28th, 2009, 07:18 AM
What a useless long article. It basically declares winning against "year of linux" by renaming "Desktop" to something else.

Read this magic quote:

The new computing model is extending the digital workspace beyond the desktop to a range of new devices -- including smartphones, netbooks, and gadgets not even invented yet.

Ok, fine, so they are not going to show desktop... right... maybe - phonetop? smart-top? net-top?

Some of these devices run Linux now, and many more will in the future. The value proposition of open source for hardware manufacturers is such that Linux's future as a vital, thriving client-side OS is all but assured.

So author agrees that many devices are going to run Linux, and maybe familiar linux operating systems, but they are not going to be client-side. God, so maybe they will be server side, on every device? What the hell he means?

It just won't be on the desktop.

Ah, ok, I see. With "desktop" in title you have in mind THE desktop on which you can keep real pencils and books, as well as normal size monitor. So, to sum up, if I understand correctly, you say that Linux will move to devices, and they are not going to be client-side?

The Year of the Linux Desktop isn't coming. But the Year of the Linux Client may already be here.

OK, now there is proof, that his ramblings are worthless.

iponeverything
April 28th, 2009, 07:22 AM
blah blah blah.. this belongs in reoccuring discussions.

All these writers always miss the point.

It's not a contest -- Linux can't be bought or go bankrupt -- As long as its useful people will continue to use it.

lethalfang
April 28th, 2009, 07:27 AM
The year of the "Linux Desktop" delivering Microsoft Windows a swift and painless death will never come. GNU / Linux will kill Microsoft Windows eventually but it will be a very slow and painful death. Like a very slow growing cancer that takes a decade or more to develop and another decade or more to slowly and painfully kill its victim. The agony will be prolonged by software piracy that will keep the terminal patient on artificial life and further prolong the pain.

Steve Ballmer was right on the money with his "cancer" analogy because that is exactly how Free Software (including GNU / Linux) will kill the propriety software model led by Microsoft, slowly and painfully.

Take a look at how Firefox is slowly but surely eating away at IE. It has been over a decade since the source was released as Free Software. GNU has been around for nearly a quarter century before SCO for example met its fate.

Desktop Linux has not missed any opportunity, it is just taking its time.

I agree.
Once great companies have disappeared before and will disappear again. Free Software and Linux, on the other hand, will win simply by outlasting Microsoft. Linux in one form or another simply will never go away.

Delever
April 28th, 2009, 07:41 AM
I agree.
Once great companies have disappeared before and will disappear again. Free Software and Linux, on the other hand, will win simply by outlasting Microsoft. Linux in one form or another simply will never go away.

The point is, he doesn't talk about linux death - his title is only to grab attention and generate traffic to their site, nothing more.

He talks that cloud and whatever makes desktop linux irrelevant, but I disagree - it only makes ANY OS irrelevant, unless technology is tied to platform. But software, proprietary or not, is moving away from being tied to OS, and increasingly so - because all the time new abstraction layers are being developed and used, from binary to virtual level.

No OS is going to "win". But OS will remain, like required layer between application and hardware. Like enormous "driver" for application.

cb951303
April 28th, 2009, 08:22 AM
The fact that it's all so confusing with all the distros when a decision maker is trying to figure if it's worth it.

that's a very popular argument and I didn't see *any* reasons why it's true yet. variety of distro means nothing.

There has been successful switches but it was not cost driven it was passion from a CTO at the price of huge efforts of teaching every users and so on. An effort not worth it for most businesses.

What's your source? Which country? What business?
This statement is vague. In my country there has been a lot of movement towards open source and linux. A lot of hosptials, military, private business and even government(partly) has switched to linux.

Instead of rejecting critics, we should seriously think our marketing model and our advocacy model, have a nice model to train professionals on linux.

above article is not a critic. it's what we call a troll. I've read enough articles about linux and open source to know which article is genuine critic and which one is not :)

The strength of Microsoft and MAC is our inability to think along one line. Which is the nature of open source since we can re-use and distribute.

if by "one line" you mean standardization then I agree with you to a certain point. but i don't think that's what constitutes MS and Apple's strength. Their strength comes from the fact that they are simply more polished (package is everything) and they have been around longer.

Ticketoride
April 28th, 2009, 08:24 AM
The only Thing wrong may be the Chrystal Ball Watchers. Linux will continuously move forward, just not at the Pace prophized. As the OS is further polished, it will catch on more. Its already made Strides, and will likely just continue on. A brief statistical Dip is little to be concerned about.

Linux appears not to be MS's #1 Competition, but Software Pirates.

joshua.solidum
April 28th, 2009, 08:55 AM
Correct..If windows should kill linux,they would have to deal with his elder the Unix,they will have to face us linux users and unix..whats quite a
thought is that linus users are protected by GPL and GPL laws..On top of this linux and unix OS are realy ment to be a hardknock not just on servers
but also on other machines

Johnsie
April 28th, 2009, 09:01 AM
Desktop Linux is missing the millions of programmers that Windows has. People will go where the good programs are. But right now there simply aren't being enough high quality applications being developed for Linux. I've been using Linux for years now and not seen much progress at the application level. On the other hand it seems like a new killer app is being designed for Windows every week. Apple have done well too, because they did good marketing, are smart with their brand name and created a sense of trendiness with their products. There is nobody doing this type of thing for Linux. Linux is not a 'cool' thing to have.

joshua.solidum
April 28th, 2009, 09:02 AM
Take not of one strategy from windows" giving the hyper V virtual machine as free downloads" why? because they want to compete against open source
lame tactic! Still if you are a windows user you will have a tought time with your pocket just to buy softwares,,MS gets much of there profit from OS
and softwares like MSOFFICE,,and such..where as if youre of for a free office tools or such like open office which you can get for free..
see the diff.. free software and support against paid MS software.

Johnsie
April 28th, 2009, 09:13 AM
Open Office works on Windows, so do thousands of other free applications. Linux has free applications, but nowhere near as many.