PDA

View Full Version : So glad I made the switch

Integral Void
April 28th, 2009, 04:32 AM
So far the only draw back to using Kubuntu is that OpenOffice ODS files will not open correctly in Microsoft Excel.

BUT other than that it's been great. I've done some pretty neat stuff with my desktop. I've sparked some interest of my co-workers recently and I'm burning them a copy of Ubuntu 9.04 LiveCD so they can give it a go.

Its quite amusing because when I tell people I use Ubuntu Linux they look at me like I'm crazy. As if it was not possible to run anything but Windows and MacOS. Strangely enough I've gotten better fps on WoW running it from WINE 1.1.19 under Ubuntu 8.10 than I ever did in Windows XP.

These forums are truly Epic beyond belief (just like google).

Now if I could only figure out how to make my parent's Windows XP SP3 desktop stop crashing on Shutdown cause that auto-restart is killing me and I never hear the end of it. I wish I could switch them to Ubuntu =(

SomeGuyDude
April 28th, 2009, 04:49 AM
It's funny, people seem to think computers actually run on Windows, not the other way around. Like there's no way for a machine to function if it doesn't have Windows on it.

Kareeser
April 28th, 2009, 04:50 AM
That's precisely the worldview Microsoft adheres to. The less the public know about alternate operating systems, the better :)

Vitamin-Carrot
April 28th, 2009, 04:55 AM
Good to hear that your enjoying it

Sealbhach
April 28th, 2009, 10:06 AM
So far the only draw back to using Kubuntu is that OpenOffice ODS files will not open correctly in Microsoft Excel.

Are they meant to? Can't you save spreadsheets as .xls files?

jespdj
April 28th, 2009, 12:50 PM
But you can just save your spreadsheet in Microsoft Excel format in OpenOffice.

Tibuda
April 28th, 2009, 12:53 PM
Or you can install this plugin in MS Office:
http://www.sun.com/software/star/odf_plugin/get.jsp

Integral Void
April 29th, 2009, 01:48 AM
Or you can install this plugin in MS Office:
http://www.sun.com/software/star/odf_plugin/get.jsp

you think they'd let me do that at my company office?

Tibuda
April 29th, 2009, 01:52 AM
you think they'd let me do that at my company office?

Probably no. You better save as xls.

Mehall
April 29th, 2009, 01:54 AM
Office 2007's next SP will include full support for Open Office formats.

MSFT realised they had lost the monopoly they had on Office packages, so are now supporting the format so that people don't bitch to them all the time.

networm1230
April 29th, 2009, 01:57 AM
free your mind. be creative. go (open sorce)