PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Difficulty Installing Applications

Kjott21
April 27th, 2009, 09:10 AM
Hello. I am a complete Linux newb but not new to computers.

I installed Ubuntu 9.04 Netbook Remix on my Aspire One last night and everything seems to be running great. I was looking to install a couple new applications from the Add/Remove list, but every time I do I lose all of my bookmarks and have difficulty logging into my IM accounts with Pidgin. It also will not run the applications that I tried to install. In this case I was attempting to install Battle Tanks and GIMP. If I go in and remove them again everything goes back to normal operation right away. I have tried to install the application and restart but it has no effect.

Can anyone offer any advice about what is going on?

rudihawk
April 27th, 2009, 11:43 AM
Does a dialog screen popup? Downloading files and such?

Jakey_TheSnake
April 27th, 2009, 11:55 AM
GIMP is already installed by default, no?

And are you not using Synaptic Package Manager?

System > Administration > Synaptic Package Manager, search for the packages and then check, press apply.

Kjott21
April 27th, 2009, 06:14 PM
GIMP is already installed by default, no?

And are you not using Synaptic Package Manager?

System > Administration > Synaptic Package Manager, search for the packages and then check, press apply.
GIMP isn't installed by default on mine.

Whether I use Package Manager or Add/Remove Applications I get the same results. It does pop up with the dialog box that says downloading and preparing and everything. There is even an icon one the main page but when I click on it the program will not run and all of my bookmarks are gone in firefox and Pidgin doesn't work.