PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] UPDATES vs UPGRADES

smileyguy
April 24th, 2009, 02:43 PM
Can I schedule Ubuntu Security updates for a certain time (i.e., after 2am when my offpeak download metering starts!)

I see the opion to schedule it "Daily" in Software Sources under the Updates tab but not to set it for a certain time (so then I can tell it to install security updates without notification etc etc.

tom56
April 24th, 2009, 03:13 PM
If you set it to install security updates without a notification, it will install them as soon as it finds them.

kpkeerthi
April 24th, 2009, 03:15 PM
I don't suggest letting the updates "install" automatically without user's attention as it may lead to severe breakage.

However, you can schedule updates to download automatically at a certain time using cron (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CronHowto). You may then install the updates manually using the Update Manager (it should now use the downloaded packages)

Here is the command you could possibly cron to download the updates.

apt-get -y update && apt-get -y -d upgrade

[More (http://www.builderau.com.au/program/linux/soa/Automatically-update-your-Ubuntu-system-with-cron-apt/0,339028299,339279542,00.htm)]

antikristian
April 24th, 2009, 03:45 PM
You can use cron to do this.
First create a simple script like this:

nano aptupdate

#!/bin/bash
/usr/bin/apt-get update
/usr/bin/apt-get dist-upgrade -y
chmod a+x aptupdate
sudo mv aptupdate /usr/local/bin

Test it by running
aptupdate

Then you start the updatescript with cron

sudo crontab -e
0 2 * * * /usr/local/bin/aptupdate

amingv
April 24th, 2009, 03:45 PM
If you are going to use root's crontab (most likely) then remember that you must add /sbin and /usr/sbin for apt-get update to work, it'd be something like this:

00 02 * * * export PATH=/sbin:/usr/sbin:$PATH && apt-get -y update && apt-get -y -d upgrade

freak42
April 24th, 2009, 04:08 PM
don't use apt-get dist-upgrade it's for upgrading from one version of ubuntu to the next one.. not a thing you should do automatically & unatended!!!!

Other people say to not install updates but at the same time give the command
apt-get upgrade
this command will install updates for you not only download them.

hth

kpkeerthi
April 25th, 2009, 02:43 AM
don't use apt-get dist-upgrade it's for upgrading from one version of ubuntu to the next one.. not a thing you should do automatically & unatended!!!!

Other people say to not install updates but at the same time give the command
apt-get upgrade
this command will install updates for you not only download them.

hth

The -d switch will cause apt-get to only download the updates.

antikristian
April 27th, 2009, 01:07 AM
Fair enough, one should not use dist-upgrade for unattended upgrades, but it does not automatically upgrade to a newer release.

There are differences though, the "upgrade" option does not do anything "destructive" like upgrading the kernel, because it will not install packages if they require new dependecies. "upgrade" will not remove any installed packages either.

apt-get dist-upgrade will handle new dependencies. It will upgrade to a newer distro if you change the sources.list file.

So, yes. Use the "upgrade" option for a script. Personally I wouldn't bother only downloading the packages though, Securityupdates aren't that useful if they are just put in /var/apt without being installed:P This is my personal opinion though:)

smileyguy
April 27th, 2009, 02:28 AM
I think there's some confusion. I meant updates and not upgrades and assumed they were two different things. I was referring to security updates and the like. Is it OK to install them unattended?

Maybe I should start another thread about the confusion?

antikristian
April 27th, 2009, 02:42 AM
If you use apt-get upgrade it installs bugfixes, security updates and newer releases of software released by Ubuntu for your distro release. It will not upgrade to a new version of Ubuntu.

I would say it's safe to do so, The only times I've run into problems have been while upgrading the kernel (nothing to do with the kernel itself, usually a binary blob like the nvidia driver that's to blame) And while upgrading over the wireless with aptitude instead of apt-get, which removes unused software while upgrading (like my wireless module:P)

Doing an apt-get upgrade does not include upgrading the kernel, which would need a reboot anyway to fix any security bugs. And it should be safe, if anything crashes during an upgrade, well, it shouldn't.

smileyguy
April 27th, 2009, 02:42 AM
I assumed there was a difference between an update and an upgrade in Ubuntu/Linux.

I assumed an update was for security type patches and an upgrade was to a new version alltogether.

I want to check for all security updates ( am assuming they are basically "patches") and want to check for them manually using the gui. Can this be done. I have ignored the auto thingy that pops up once a day as I want to do it at a certain time (i.e., in my "offpeak" download limit time!)

Any tips?

steve101101
April 27th, 2009, 02:48 AM
I assumed there was a difference between an update and an upgrade in Ubuntu/Linux.

I assumed an update was for security type patches and an upgrade was to a new version alltogether.

I want to check for all security updates ( am assuming they are basically "patches") and want to check for them manually using the gui. Can this be done. I have ignored the auto thingy that pops up once a day as I want to do it at a certain time (i.e., in my "offpeak" download limit time!)

Any tips?

yeah. use the update manager. this will "patch" the current system. if you try to upgrade the system this could upgrade the system from 8.10 to 9.04 for instance.

smileyguy
April 27th, 2009, 02:52 AM
It says my system is up to date. Is this correct for Jaunty?

I think I might be confusing having seen a couple of hundred updates with the 8.10 version I had installed a week ago.

Is it correct that there have been no updates for Jaunty yet?

smileyguy
April 27th, 2009, 02:53 AM
my updates manager says it will check for updates "Daily". s there a way to schedule a time for this using a GUI only?

joshrobinson
April 27th, 2009, 02:55 AM
Go to System > Administration > Software Sources
Then on the Updates tab, disable "Check for updates"

Your system shouldnt bother you about updates anymore, and you WILL have to manually use update manager. You will need to click Check, then click Install updates.

I hope thats what you wanted.

cariboo907
April 27th, 2009, 02:56 AM
Go to System-->Administartion-->Software Sources-->Updates, you can set how the updates are done.

Klaz168
April 27th, 2009, 02:58 AM
you mean like apt-get update/upgrade? well if thats what you mean, update just updates apt's list with program versions, while upgrade, upgrades the _currently_ installed programs to their latest version, if any.

Happy_Man
April 27th, 2009, 03:02 AM
EDIT: Never mind, didn't read what you said. D'oh!