View Full Version : [ubuntu] LAMP on Desktop 8.04.1

April 26th, 2009, 09:33 PM
I am a web application developer using MySQL, PHP, and Java Script. I had LAMP installed on a previous machine the crashed. I did not keep adequate notes to be able to recreate the development environment that was on the previous machine. I have reached an impasse and would like help to get out of the weeds.

I did a clean install of desktop 8.04.1 using the full hard drive, no partitioning. I installed all updates, about 287.

For LAMP I selected System/Administration/Synaptic Package Manager. In Synaptic I selected Edit/Mark Packages by Task. I then checked the LAMP server box and clicked OK. The installation seemed to run without error.

I opened the browser (Firefox) and entered http://localhost and the page came back with "It works."

In order to test the browser with PHP I created an simple index.php file with the text editor and tried to save it in /var/www. I got a message telling me I did not have permission to save a document in the folder.

How do I set permissions so I can save documents to /var/www? Can I do it without going to the command line? I will go to the command line if necessary.

On my previous installation under Applications/Programs I had two MySQL utilities. On this installation there is no Programs option.

How do I add the Programs option to the Applications menu that contains the two MySQL utilities, one for administration and one for SQL editing and testing?

This time I am keeping good notes.

Dan H.

April 26th, 2009, 10:06 PM
For the MySQL tools, I think there's a few options, but the one I've used most recently was the mysql-admin package from the repositories.

For permissions, I don't know if this is the most secure thing to do, but if it's just a test/development box, I don't see why you couldn't just chown /var/www to your user account...

April 26th, 2009, 11:07 PM
IMHO - I would install the server version and add ubuntu-desktop

seems easier to me

April 26th, 2009, 11:30 PM
For perms add yourself to the www-data group and chown the /var/www dir so that www-data owns it.

April 27th, 2009, 02:07 AM
I searched Synaptic for mysql-admin under name, found it, and installed it. That gave me the Programming/MySQL Administrator option. I decided to try to search for just mysql under name. In the list I found mysql-query-browser and installed it. That is the other Programming option I was missing.

I used chown to change the permissions and was able to test php in the browser. I am back to debugging my application -- right where I like to be.

Thank you very much.

Dan H.