PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] simple desktop customization question

baxna
April 26th, 2009, 07:06 PM
Hello,

I just have a very simple customization question. I just upgrade to 9.04 yesterday and am very pleased with it, except that whenever I want to see my Home folder I have to click into a menu. Is there a way to place a shortcut on the desktop? I tried dragging the menu icon to the desktop and it started copying everything over, so I cancelled that. Thanks!

Mike

Saint_
April 26th, 2009, 07:10 PM
Yo, I'm not sure if this is what you're talking about but you can right click the desktop folder and go to Folder View Settings. From here you can set your desktop to be your /home folder, so your /home directory is displayed on the desktop.

Elfy
April 26th, 2009, 07:11 PM
Do alt+F2 - then run gconf-editor

Navigate to /apps/nautilus/desktop

In the right hand pane tick home icon visible

baxna
April 26th, 2009, 07:12 PM
Well, close. I don't want to change the Home folder's location, just place a shortcut to it on the desktop.

wsonar
April 26th, 2009, 07:13 PM
open a terminal

type gconf-editor

go to

apps/nautilus/desktop

see screen shot

check home folder

I usually use this to remove all the icons from my desktop :)

Forestpixie beat me too it I was tring to get a screenshot :)

Sealbhach
April 26th, 2009, 07:14 PM
easier way above.

baxna
April 26th, 2009, 07:14 PM
Do alt+F2 - then run gconf-editor

Navigate to /apps/nautilus/desktop

In the right hand pane tick home icon visible

Thanks! That's a pretty obscure/unknown thing, I had no idea that would have been the steps to take.

Spiritous
April 26th, 2009, 07:16 PM
Right click somewhere free on the desktop... Now go into "Create Launcher"... You have a new window, In this change the TYPE: In the dropdown from Application to >>> Location. In Name just type "home"... for the location put Home/Username.

wizard10000
April 26th, 2009, 07:16 PM
Well, close. I don't want to change the Home folder's location, just place a shortcut to it on the desktop.

Easy.

Right-click your desktop and select "Create Launcher".

In the "Name" block, put whatever you want to call the icon.

In the "Command" block, put

nautilus /home/username

where username is your logon name.

Click OK and you're done ;)

Sealbhach
April 26th, 2009, 07:17 PM
For any other location, right-click on the desktop and choose "creare launcher" but make the launcher type "Location" and just put in the location in the command part. You can change the icon too, by clicking on the picture.

baxna
April 26th, 2009, 08:17 PM
Thanks all for the tips about launchers too! That answers another question I had.