PDA

View Full Version : Help me decide - to Jackalope or not to Jackalope

samjh
April 26th, 2009, 06:36 AM
I'm having a crisis... a geek crisis. I can't decide whether to install Jaunty. :p Usually I'm pretty decisive about everything, but I'm torn on this one.

Right now, I'm running a very well-setup Debian Lenny system. Reliability-wise, it has been faultless. It's fast and efficient. I have it customised exactly as I want, including hand-installations of newer software to replace the obsolete ones from Debian repos.

But should I switch back to Ubuntu and install Jaunty?

I run a production system for work and study, so it needs to be reliable (no weekly crashes, thanks). On the other hand, I'd like up-to-date Firefox, OpenOffice, and Qt, which Ubuntu provides regularly, but Debian stable does not at all.

I'd also like feedback on how ext4 users are finding their system's performance and reliability. My filesystems of choice have been ext3 and JFS, and both have served me very very well. Is ext4 worth the risk of change?

What to do, what to do, what to do? :D Enlighten me with your collective wisdom!

ad_267
April 26th, 2009, 06:42 AM
I've had no problems with 9.04+Ext4 so far, and it seems like there's a good speed increase from 8.10. I voted to install 9.04, but if you have a good setup already that you're happy with then there isn't a lot of point in changing that.

wolfen69
April 26th, 2009, 06:44 AM
i've been running ext4 with 64bit jaunty for about 5 weeks without any issues. runs flawless for me. in fact, it's the best OS i've ever used in 20 years.

and i could never go back after getting used to the speed increase. i'm spoiled now.

sports fan Matt
April 26th, 2009, 06:44 AM
I dont know if its possible but dual booting?

amac777
April 26th, 2009, 06:49 AM
I voted to stick with your current setup. Just re-read your post and it sounds clear that what you want is what you have right now. Of course, you could always install Jaunty on another partition to play with and see if it runs just as well. But I wouldn't replace or delete your current Debian system if it's working so well for you.

RichardLinx
April 26th, 2009, 07:26 AM
I'll vote Jaunty. While you may have your Debian system customised just the way you like it, there's no reason why you can't fo the same with Ubuntu. I think your post is neutral but leans more towards Ubuntu:

I'd like up-to-date Firefox, OpenOffice, and Qt, which Ubuntu provides regularly, but Debian stable does not at all.

cmay
April 26th, 2009, 08:40 AM
you should leave your debian intact at all costs. what is the ultimate solution to your present situations questions and problems is to buy a new computer which you should jackalope all the way :)

OutOfReach
April 26th, 2009, 08:45 AM
Using Jaunty has been a very very good experience for me, everything is just faster. Ext4 has given me no problems what-so-ever. Jaunty is rock solid and quite possibly the best release of Ubuntu for me, I love it!

Sashin
April 26th, 2009, 08:48 AM
Speed: Jackalope
Stability: Lenny

Both are fast though and both are stable in my opinion. It's just a matter of what you want greater.

telmac
April 26th, 2009, 08:50 AM
DO NOT SWITCH!

atleast for right now, wait until it is confirmed to work properly.

mohitchawla
April 26th, 2009, 08:57 AM
I have had a few hang ups with Kubuntu 9.04. I am not _completely_ sure if it is KDE or the ext4 file system, but I think its the ext4 system as the system has hung up on me during some file operations with another partition that I have that is formatted as ReiserFS. So, if you plan to have other distros or partitions with other formats on your system along with Jaunty, that might not be a good idea due to limitations posed on manipulating an ext4 partition or manipulating from an ext4 partition. Parted/GParted doesn't have support for ext4 yet...the only way to manipulate ext4 _easily_ is Parted Magic 4.0. So do remember to have Parted Magic with you in case you just might run into some problem.

So, I would say Jaunty+ext4+Parted Magic live CD is a good _and_ safe option.

samjh
April 26th, 2009, 09:40 AM
Thanks for the advice folks.

I think I'll stick with Lenny for the time being, and trial Jaunty on a VM instead. :)