PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Is my laptop too old to run Ubuntu?

MontyV
April 26th, 2009, 03:19 AM
I've installed the most recent version of Ubuntu on my Dell Inspiron 4150 and it is just not fast. Everything seems sluggish still even when I was using the previous version. I've also tried Kubuntu and Xubuntu in previous versions. Considering my laptop specs attached should I just strictly be using Xubuntu and what else can I do to get my laptop to run smoothly? I only use it for internet and nothing else. Just the normal browser plugins would be necessary. I would need no other applications.

lisati
April 26th, 2009, 03:24 AM
One of my laptops (using it right now) has similar specs (slightly less available RAM, slightly slower CPU). It's usable for basic stuff like browsing with a regular Ubuntu, but a bit sluggish at times, you might find that Xubuntu is slightly better suited.
I'm not sure how well the Atheros 5001 wireless will work, but someone else might be able to help on that one.

some_random_noob
April 26th, 2009, 04:16 AM
Xubuntu with Epiphany might just be usable. If not, then install Xubuntu and then add Fluxbox (it's kind of annoying at first, but it works well when you customize the menus).

Link: http://fluxbox.org/

MontyV
April 26th, 2009, 04:59 AM
I really like the Ubuntu flavors, would upgrading my memory to 1GB (Which is the max) run much better? I see I can get 2x512mb for $40. So I guess that wont break the bank.

davidgurvich
April 26th, 2009, 05:31 AM
There is absolutely no reason that you cannot run kde4, kde3, or gnome on this machine. I've got a 1ghz p3 laptop that uses onboard intel 830 graphics and has 1GB of ram. That machine has kde4 installed and the only issue I've had is the intel graphics driver.

Once the cpu is fast enough, the main problem is ram. Get the ram to 1GB and ubuntu with gnome or opensuse with kde4 will run fine.

MontyV
April 26th, 2009, 06:11 PM
There is absolutely no reason that you cannot run kde4, kde3, or gnome on this machine. I've got a 1ghz p3 laptop that uses onboard intel 830 graphics and has 1GB of ram. That machine has kde4 installed and the only issue I've had is the intel graphics driver.

Once the cpu is fast enough, the main problem is ram. Get the ram to 1GB and ubuntu with gnome or opensuse with kde4 will run fine.

Alright awesome. I've ordered the memory and I'll repost if everything runs much smoother as imagined.