PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] hard drive malfunction after upgrade to jaunty

Teegoat
April 25th, 2009, 08:52 PM
Hi everybody,
I've just got myself into real trouble. I've upgraded Intrepid to Jaunty and since than things started going weird. When I shut the comp down it did't die instantly but instead stayed on when I was away at work. Now Jaunty doesnt work at all, so I installed Zenwalk on a different partitionjust to have something to be able to rescue my files with but the HD keeps on freezing on me making that funny restart kind of noise. Anybody's got any idea what's going on?

KhurramM
April 27th, 2009, 01:37 AM
Boot using the LiveCD

give read/write permissions to all the partitions

Hope u can recover your data!

Teegoat
April 27th, 2009, 08:21 AM
I was already trying to boot from live cd - wouldn't even start the system:(

Teegoat
April 27th, 2009, 01:53 PM
Well, seems like I've got the problem solved, but didn't avoid formatting the HD. Before that I managed to rescue my data, so it's all good.
Now, I'm only beginning my adventure with Linux and Ubuntu, and I can't say for sure that Ubuntu is responsible for my troubles, but the fact of the matter is that my problems started when I upgraded to Jaunty and the disappeared when I got rid of it completely through formatting my hard drive.
So to all of you out there be careful at this early stage in Jaunty's life cause it seems it can be still quite hard to tame;)
I'm working with Zenwalk at the moment and going to stay with it for some time. As for ubuntu, I'm gonna wait for some time and see what is the general climate about it online. I may be back to ubuntu, but for now I do have to say that my cup of ubuntu was not a delicious one...;)