PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] VMware and CPU

tanha
April 25th, 2009, 08:52 PM
Can I run VMware if my CPU Core 2 Quad Q8300 doesn't have VT (Virtualization Technology) support (http://ark.intel.com/cpu.aspx?groupId=39107)?

(Running 9.04 x86_64)

Barry Carroll
April 25th, 2009, 10:27 PM
Sure, it's usually an option to use the hardware features if you have them but it's no biggie if you don't. I use virtualbox and I haven't noticed any significant difference in running with vt on or off.

tanha
April 25th, 2009, 10:31 PM
Sure, it's usually an option to use the hardware features if you have them but it's no biggie if you don't. I use virtualbox and I haven't noticed any significant difference in running with vt on or off.

Thank you, Barry. It seems to me that it begs the question as to what the need of VT is -- why is it there if it doesn't make any noticeable difference?

As an aside, I can't make heads or tales about what it does from http://www.intel.com/technology/virtualization/ but it seemed like something I would need if I wanted to use vmware...

Barry Carroll
April 25th, 2009, 10:47 PM
I don't really know either. The impression that I got was that by providing some virtualisation features in hardware the coder wouldn't have to implement them in software, reimplementing the wheel.

tanha
April 26th, 2009, 12:09 AM
OK so after a bit more research it would *seem* that the VT instructions on the intel chip are only needed for 64 bit guests, as explained below

http://pubs.vmware.com/ws65_ace25/ws_user/wwhelp/wwhimpl/common/html/wwhelp.htm?context=ws_user&file=intro_sysreqs_ws.html

PC Hardware
•Standard x86-compatible or x86-64-compatible personal computer
•733MHz or faster CPU minimum
Compatible processors include the following:
•Intel — Celeron, Pentium II, Pentium III, Pentium 4, Pentium M (including computers with Centrino mobile technology), Xeon (including “Prestonia”), Core, and Core 2 processors
•AMD —Athlon, Athlon MP, Athlon XP, Athlon 64, Duron, Opteron, Turion 64, and Sempron
•Multiprocessor systems are supported.
•Support for 64-bit guest operating systems is available only on the following versions of these processors:
•Revision D or later of AMD Athlon 64, Opteron, Turion 64, and Sempron
•Intel Pentium 4, Core 2, and Xeon processors with EM64T and Intel Virtualization Technology

platinumriver
May 1st, 2009, 05:14 AM
I am running VMWare 64 bit, but only with 32 bit hosts. After reading your post, now I know why it wouldn't let me install 64 bit guests. I have the same Q8300 CPU.

Does anyone know if VirtualBox has the same requirements for running 64bit guests?

tanha
May 1st, 2009, 11:20 AM
I'd install it from the repositories and just try to run an x86_64 live cd... I'm doubtful that it'll work though...

platinumriver
May 1st, 2009, 05:40 PM
You are correct. I installed VirtualBox from the repositories, put in an x86_64 live cd and got the same error message as I got with VMware. It looks like the Intel Virtualization Technology is a CPU requirement in order to run 64 bit guests.