PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] HP Compaq nc8000 - severe graphics problems

Skios
April 25th, 2009, 07:32 PM
http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/8884/screenshot2m.th.png (http://img212.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screenshot2m.png)

This is what my screen looks like. I've been having this problem for several weeks now but never really bothered to do anything about it. However when I updated from 8.10 o 9.04, the problem suddenly got a lot more severe. This is what it looked like under 8.10:

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/8882/screenshotkth.th.png (http://img13.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screenshotkth.png)

The red stuff on the shutdown window was just something that happened when you dragged a window around. For some reason that doesn't happen anymore. The problem looks exactly the same when I plug in an external monitor.

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV350 [Mobility Radeon 9600 M10]

# This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool, using
# values from the debconf database.
#
# Edit this file with caution, and see the xorg.conf manual page.
# (Type "man xorg.conf" at the shell prompt.)
#
# This file is automatically updated on xserver-xorg package upgrades *only*
# if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the xserver-xorg
# package.
#
# Note that some configuration settings that could be done previously
# in this file, now are automatically configured by the server and settings
# here are ignored.
#
# If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated
# again, run the following command:
# sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

Section "Device"
Identifier "Configured Video Device"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Monitor "Configured Monitor"
Device "Configured Video Device"
EndSection

StuartN
April 25th, 2009, 08:10 PM
What driver is being used? You can find the driver with "lshw -C video" in a terminal.

Skios
April 25th, 2009, 09:07 PM
Doing that in the terminal gives me:
*-display UNCLAIMED
description: VGA compatible controller
product: RV350 [Mobility Radeon 9600 M10]
vendor: ATI Technologies Inc
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
version: 00
width: 32 bits
clock: 66MHz
capabilities: agp agp-2.0 pm bus_master cap_list
configuration: latency=64 mingnt=8

luig1
April 25th, 2009, 09:32 PM
Unclaimed means that there is no driver installed for it and it is probably using a generic driver. Give me a few minutes and I try to find one for you and instructions on how to install it. Another question, is that computer currently running another OS like Vista or XP?

Edit:

I did a little research and here (http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/linux/legacy/Pages/radeon_linux.aspx?type=2.4.2&product=2.4.2.3.1&lang=English) is the driver you need for that card.

Skios
April 25th, 2009, 11:20 PM
Thanks, but I'm afraid I've run into another problem. After downloading the file and trying to install it through the instructions provided on that site, I get the following error:
jasper@jasper-laptop:~/Desktop$ sh ./ati-driver-installer-9-3-x86.x86_64.run
Created directory fglrx-install.uUiQhZ
Verifying archive integrity... All good.
Uncompressing ATI Proprietary Linux Driver-8.593............................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..........................................
==================================================
ATI Technologies Linux Driver Installer/Packager
==================================================

Error: ./default_policy.sh does not support version
default:v2:i686:lib::none:2.6.28-11-generic; make sure that the version is being
correctly set by --iscurrentdistro

Removing temporary directory: fglrx-install.uUiQhZ

luig1
April 26th, 2009, 03:12 AM
Ok you should use sudo sh ./ati-driver-installer-9-3-x86.x86_64.run. sudo is the equivelent to administrator rights on windows. Also make sure you have all the Pre requesties it asks for which are: XFree86-Mesa-libGL, libstdc++, libgcc, XFree86-libs, fontconfig, freetype, zlib, gcc. Also make sure you have your ubuntu up-to-date. Go to System -> Administration -> Update Manager. Tell me what comes up after you make sure of all that.

StuartN
April 26th, 2009, 10:59 AM
You can't use that driver (Catalyst 9.3) in Ubuntu 9.04, it does not support X server 1.6 and will probably crash your display. You must use Catalyst 9.4 or - if your card isn't supported any longer - the older open source ati or radeon drivers.