PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 64 bit U

Duskao
April 25th, 2009, 06:16 PM
Thinking about 64bit. What I am thinking of doing is partitioning and running both 32 and 64 of Ubuntu then later deciding which I like better. My main concern though is once this is done if I do like 64 better will I be able to transfer my files over to the 64 bit version from the 32? Also will I be able to wipe the "other" partition and converge it back into the OS of choice to have the full capacity of my HD?

Moop
April 25th, 2009, 06:19 PM
Yes to both questions. You're good to go.

Therion
April 25th, 2009, 06:26 PM
You can do that, yes (to both).

My advice (having used both 32 and 64 bit versions of Ubuntu since Feisty) is if your proc supports 64-bit, install 64-bit.

Seriously. Just do it.

The days of there being "issues" with things like Flash and Java are history. 64-bit is the only way to fly if your system supports it. And all that hoo-ha about there being no difference unless you have at least 4GB of system RAM... PFFFFFTTT... I call BS. And that's based on experience.

Jaunty + 64bit + ext4 = Pure, freaking, awesome.

Duskao
April 25th, 2009, 06:34 PM
I'm really glad to hear it. However, I only have 2 gigs of ram, mind you I do eventually plan on getting more, but for now it's only 2. So, still no difference right?

oldos2er
April 25th, 2009, 06:56 PM
I ran 64-bit Ubuntu successfully with 2GB RAM for quite awhile.

Duskao
April 25th, 2009, 08:03 PM
Alright, now to the dirt. Once up and running, will I be able to choose the 64 or 32 setup through grub? How will that work, this will be my first dual operating system. Also how will I go about actually transferring the data from the 32 bit system to the 64 if I find that I like it more?