PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Weird laptop bootup problem.

aknapp
April 25th, 2009, 06:01 PM
I have installed several different flavors of linux on my laptop and everyone of them has a bootup issue. When I press the power button it will come to the loading ubuntu logo with the progress bar and just hang. It will only continue if I hold down any key on the keyboard. Once loaded it's fine.

When I look at the text based loading it shows info about USBCORE then something about ACPI IRQ, then hangs.

aknapp
April 26th, 2009, 03:22 AM
Anyone? This is really aggravating.

dreamingdarkness
April 26th, 2009, 06:14 AM
Is it showing the same behavior as you see here:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/272247
There are some suggestions in there about boot parameters/etc, though it may depend on your PC and your Linux kernel version...

If it's not related to that ticket, you might need to post more information:
PC manufacturer
Motherboard type
Ubuntu version and version for your Linux kernel

Some people also reported upgrading to Jaunty fixed but it may depend on your hardware.

travisgmyers
April 26th, 2009, 06:38 AM
Hey, no help here but I have the same problem on Jaunty. I'll let you know if I figure anything out.

aknapp
April 26th, 2009, 06:45 AM
Yes, that is the exact same problem I'm having. I have a HP Pavilion DV6815. I remember Ubuntu working at one point just fine. Not sure what changed that. Thank you for showing me that link.

7CarPileUp
May 20th, 2009, 04:34 AM
I installed ubuntu on my friends HP DV9000 i believe it was and he has the same issue. i also noticed that it will hang unless you hold a button down. Anybody know anything else about this?