PDA

View Full Version : fresh install firefox won't connect to internet

swatsbiz
April 25th, 2009, 03:48 PM
Hi have just completed a fresh install of Jaunty 64bit Desktop edition and went straight for the ubuntuzilla install - after installing I could not connect to anywebsites with it (page load error) I did an uninstall of ubuntuzilla to see if that would correct the problem, but no joy.

(update - I just realised that I have only uninstalled ubuntuzilla not firefox, I uninstalled ubuntuzill-firefox and have firefox working again - any ideas why ubuntuzilla wasn't working or should I try reinstalling it later?)

Is there a simple setting that I have missed?

David

nanotube
April 26th, 2009, 03:22 AM
Hi,

Well, I haven't come across anything like this before, so not sure what could be going on...

try installing again with ubuntuzilla, run firefox, see if it works, if it doesn't work, close firefox completely, then open a terminal and run "firefox.ubuntu" (that's where ubuntuzilla sticks default repository-version of firefox), and see if it works.

if it does keep working with firefox.ubuntu, but not with just firefox, i would venture to guess (and a guess it is) that it may have something to do with some 64bit libraries on jaunty...

also, try running just "firefox" from a terminal (when ubuntuzilla's version is installed), try going to some websites, and see if any useful error messages show up in the terminal...

honeywine
May 14th, 2009, 08:54 AM
Hi.

Try switching network.dns.disableIPv6 option to true in your about:config. That's what solved similar problem of mine.

shoeheight
May 30th, 2009, 12:58 PM
This seems to be an issue with a number of installs,

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1167706

Thanks, I'll try your fix too.

shoeheight
May 30th, 2009, 01:51 PM
Changing ivp6 fixed it, thanks.

If anyone else has this problem type "about:config" into the firefox browser.

Then use the filter (on the top of the screen) for ipv6.

The first value is "network.dns.disableIPv6" double click on "false" to change it to "true". (this disables IPv6 support in Firefox.)

This fixed it for me...I hope it does for you.

beartham
May 30th, 2009, 10:27 PM
Hey,

That worked for me, and for SeaMonkey too.:p

Thanks guys.

nanotube
June 1st, 2009, 11:37 PM
Hi.

Try switching network.dns.disableIPv6 option to true in your about:config. That's what solved similar problem of mine.

thanks for the tip, honeywine. seems like that's the ticket! :)

alliance1975
July 8th, 2009, 01:24 AM
I just experienced the same problem and the recommended solution also solved it. My question would be why? If knowledge of ubuntu ranges from sublime to ridiculous then I am right next to ridiculous. Basically I'd like to know if a problem was created by the config change.

Jimleko211
July 13th, 2009, 11:52 PM
THanks a lot, it solved my problem. Firefox 3.5 is soo much better than 3.

gnoob
July 17th, 2009, 01:50 AM
This worked for me too (64bit jaunty, FFv3.5). Not that IPv6 is necessary right now but i'd rather not disable the next generation standards. They'll probably fix it in karmic, but i would like to know why this happens.

d0b33
July 17th, 2009, 07:35 PM
Thanks honeywine, just downloaded the latest firefox but not connecting to the net was confusing me but that fixed it though.

bluenix
July 28th, 2009, 09:10 AM
dear honeywine, that absolutely worked, thanks!

w33d3d
July 29th, 2009, 10:01 PM
Thank you this also fixed my problem

beadrifle
October 1st, 2009, 04:42 AM
Disabling the IPv6 option worked for me too. Thanks a bunch.

grkor
October 1st, 2009, 09:22 AM
Below is brilliant! :-) / I tried it and it DID WORK like a charm ! Now Firefox 3.5 runs like a fast race car ! :-) / Gregory

Changing ivp6 fixed it, thanks.

If anyone else has this problem type "about:config" into the firefox browser.

Then use the filter (on the top of the screen) for ipv6.

The first value is "network.dns.disableIPv6" double click on "false" to change it to "true". (this disables IPv6 support in Firefox.)

This fixed it for me...I hope it does for you.

Algus
October 14th, 2009, 04:18 AM
Hi.

Hey everyone. Just chipping in that I just now used the script and had the EXACT SAME PROBLEM as described in the OP. However, I did what honeywine suggested and it worked immediately.

Just wanted to throw in that this worked for me for anyone else having issues.

Also thanks to honeywine for posting; all the way back in May and still very useful!

honeywine
October 19th, 2009, 10:51 PM
I'm glad that helped. :)

virgil_machine
November 3rd, 2009, 03:19 AM
Setting the disable ipv6 to true Worked for me, too.

I am running jaunty with several vms under virtualbox 3.0.8. The problem was on the host.

I checked a karmic 64-bit vm and the value was "false". Everything works fine in the vm, so something may have been fixed. It sure seems like a bug. I set the vm to true also, just for grins, ands there's no difference.

I have not tried upgrading a jaunty vm to 3.5.4 to see if I get the same problem.

tons-of-funs
November 17th, 2009, 08:08 PM
ok im having the same problem, the only thing is when i disabled the ipv6 it didnt do anything, i still can not connect to the internet, ubuntu says im connected to my wireless but i cant connect to anything, my update manager cant connect either

nanotube
November 18th, 2009, 04:34 AM
ok im having the same problem, the only thing is when i disabled the ipv6 it didnt do anything, i still can not connect to the internet, ubuntu says im connected to my wireless but i cant connect to anything, my update manager cant connect either

if other applications can't connect, then the problem is not with firefox, but with your network connection. try pinging google, maybe, to see if you've got net.

ping google.com