PDA

View Full Version : HOW TO: Install FireFox 1.0 from the Backports Project

clparker
January 16th, 2005, 07:50 PM
After spending a good long week struggling on how to upgrade my Firefox browser to the new 1.0 in Warty Warthog, I finally found a solution that was both easy and did not crash my precious Ubuntu install. Using the Hoary Hedgehog repositories I ended up breaking my X-server setup. It was a mess. I hosed my install about three times in a row using Hoary repositories, and doing a manual install was confusing. So now, I offer my first how to here on the forums to anybody who wants a simple walk through on how to install Firefox 1.0 from the backports project.

sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
add at the bottom:
deb http://ubuntu-bp.sourceforge.net/ubuntu warty-backports main universe
save the file and get back to the terminal and tell it to update by typing:
sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install mozilla-firefox
To the best of my knowledge, this is the simplest and easiest way to run Firefox 1.0 on Warty and not break anything. The backports project is run by some amazing people, and they also do a GAIM update as well.

cabu
January 16th, 2005, 08:15 PM
And for those of us who don't like evolution...they have Thunderbird 1.0.

jdong
January 17th, 2005, 05:21 PM
The backports project is run by some amazing people, and they also do a GAIM update as well.

Thanks :). There are over 250 updated packages in the Backports repository. If you ever feel like just looking around: http://ubuntu-bp.sourceforge.net/ubuntu/dists/warty-backports/

clparker
January 18th, 2005, 08:50 AM
any word on posibly a nicotine backport?

clparker
January 19th, 2005, 01:21 PM
And if ya want: Thunderbird too:
sudo apt-get install mozilla-thunderbird

Brikkah
January 19th, 2005, 02:52 PM
Are there any other packages barkported? like xnews of gaim??

cabu
January 19th, 2005, 08:22 PM
Take a look at this thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=8486) . The links listed will take you to see what has been backported.

angrylittleman
January 20th, 2005, 04:01 AM
Great Thread, thanks for the help :)

Wubanga
January 20th, 2005, 11:37 AM
After spending a good long week struggling on how to upgrade my Firefox browser to the new 1.0 in Warty Warthog, I finally found a solution that was both easy and did not crash my precious Ubuntu install. Using the Hoary Hedgehog repositories I ended up breaking my X-server setup. It was a mess. I hosed my install about three times in a row using Hoary repositories, and doing a manual install was confusing. So now, I offer my first how to here on the forums to anybody who wants a simple walk through on how to install Firefox 1.0 from the backports project.

add at the bottom:
save the file and get back to the terminal and tell it to update by typing:

To the best of my knowledge, this is the simplest and easiest way to run Firefox 1.0 on Warty and not break anything. The backports project is run by some amazing people, and they also do a GAIM update as well.
Hi there, a newbie here

I observed that all the updates through this method ar for i386 kernel. I updated my ubuntu to i686 kernel, can I do the update anyways?

Thxs

steffen
January 20th, 2005, 12:27 PM
Yep - you can! You can use i386, i586 and i686 packages ;)

Usually, I go for the highest one - I have an i686 processor type

Eklöf
January 23rd, 2005, 11:20 AM
How do I get FF and TB 1.0 when using the AMD64 version of Ubuntu. I get errors when using this backport.

pseudonym
January 23rd, 2005, 01:03 PM
Thanks for the tip. Once you've added the backports repository and done an apt-get update, shouldn't it be sudo apt-get upgrade rather than install? (assuming you have both Firefox and Thunderbird already installed, of course) I did apt-get upgrade and found that 2 packages had holds on them - hotplug and mozilla-thunderbird. I have no idea why (I did apt-get check and they are both OK). Can you have problems if you override a hold?

clparker
January 23rd, 2005, 08:16 PM
In this walkthrough should I recomend to people they remove the line from the sources file once the update has been made?

pseudonym
January 24th, 2005, 12:29 AM
Just found a German version of this howto that users in various non-English locales will find extra helpful. If you read German go to http://www.ubuntuusers.de/wiki/internet:firefox_installieren . For those who don't, it's basically the same as this one only you add a different repository to /etc/apt/sources.list . You can obtain Firefox 1.0 and (at time of writing) 1.0-compatible localisation packs for German, French, Japanese, Catalan, Ukrainian, Norwegian, Turkish, and Polish, plus some package which is supposed to integrate FF 1.0 better into Gnome (which I haven't tried yet).

Follow clparker's steps, but INSTEAD OF the backports repository, use this one -

deb http://www.stud.uni-karlsruhe.de/~ut8g/ubuntu/ warty-updates main universe

Once you've installed FF I guess you could add the backports one, but I would say it's definitely safer to not have them both in your sources.list at once when you do apt-get update (though this is not based on any technical know-how, just what seems like commonsense).

I installed FF 1.0 plus German localisation from here, and everything is running sweetly. I had problems upgrading FF 0.93 to 1.0 via backports repository-the German pack plus the language switcher for 1.0 which I got separately from Mozilla failed to work properly. So I uninstalled 0.93 and started over. However, had I known about the German repository I probably would not have had to do anything this drastic, instead just grab the German localisation from it.

But it's all over now. I'm a happy camper again. :)

PS. clparker, maybe edit your original howto post with relevant details from my one here?

jdong
January 25th, 2005, 12:44 AM
I'm sorry... I'll get locales in soon for Thunderbird and Firefox.

Eejay
February 15th, 2005, 12:00 PM
Subcribes 2 thread

rufius
February 15th, 2005, 01:38 PM
I'll look into a backport of nicotine for you. :-)

jdong
February 15th, 2005, 08:46 PM
I'm sorry... I'll get locales in soon for Thunderbird and Firefox.

All Firefox locales are compiled & marked STABLE...

Thunderbird locales are coming along.