panic action = /usr/share/samba/panic-action %d

# Authentication

security = user
encrypt passwords = true
passdb backend = tdbsam
obey pam restrictions = yes
unix password sync = yes
passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *Retype\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
pam password change = yes

#Domains

/var/lib/samba -s /bin/false %u

# Share Definition

[homes]
comment = Home Directories
browsable = no

[data]
comment = BBT Data
path = /home/data
guest ok = no
browseable = yes
writeable = yes
create mask = 0755
directory mask = 0755

I am not able to browse to my shares through network viewers like Explorer on Windows or Linux workstations. I can see the server listed in the available servers list but when I attempt to access it, I get an error from windows that tells me "the network path was not found".

I can, however, connect directly to the share via UNC path '\\1.2.3.4\share' and using smbclient from a linux workstation 'smbclient //1.2.3.4/share' so I know the SAMBA share is set up correctly.

Has anyone seen this or experienced it before? I've been scouring the Internet for two days now and have run dry.

Thanks.

doas777
April 25th, 2009, 04:17 AM
I'm sorry that this won't be helpful, but i think you will find that many a fellow ubuntian has had this problem.

at this point i have a standard config file that i tweak for all my hosts, and i would say most hosts are visible in the browser about 30% of the time each. all of them can, at one time or other, see everyone of the others, but it is a rare day that any one of them can see all the others at the same time. the wins server i set up, is visible all the time, but thats about it.

every time i really dig into the issue, i get it working almost perfectly, and that lasts for a few days, before problems begin again. I just map "bookmarks" to my most common shares, or type the address into nautilus manually as you do.

kamaji792
April 25th, 2009, 07:41 AM
Bit of a long shot.

Are all the computers on an appropriate IP address?

Like 192.168.0.x

Are they all set with the same workgroup name?

I has similar problems that seemed to go once I had set the workgroup name.

I would have suggested setting up a Wins server as I thought this did 'name resolution' i.e. did the translation of computer names to IP addresses. I have never set one up because I never had a big issue and doas777 implies it does not work.

All the best