PDA

View Full Version : Running Warcraft 3 in Full Screen Mode?

noob_penguin
April 25th, 2009, 03:22 AM
Hi guys, I'm sorry I know this has been discussed before (without success I've noticed from the other threads) but I'm just wondering if anyone knows how to get Warcraft 3 to run in full screen mode using Wine?

Here is an image of what is happening when I run the game:
http://imgur.com/1o0e.png

Essentially, when I am in-game and I try to pan around the map by moving my mouse to the corners of the screen, the mouse leaves the game window and moves onto the desktop, which kills the gameplay.

I am running the version 1.1.19 of Wine. I am running Ubuntu version 9.04.
I have tried configuring Wine to run in a virtual desktop which does not work, as well as having it not run in a virtual desktop.

I have a nVidia Geforce Go 6100 in my laptop, and currently have the nVidia accelerated graphics driver version 180 installed and working.

The only problem with the game is that it won't run full screen. I've also tried simply switching the game to another workspace to see if it runs full screen, but it does not.

Anyways, if anyone can help me out here I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.

hikaricore
April 25th, 2009, 03:25 AM
Have you tried turning off desktop effects?

noob_penguin
April 25th, 2009, 03:47 AM
Hey, that fixed it. Thank you very much. :)

hungryOrb
May 1st, 2009, 03:26 AM
Wow.. that fixed it? You didn't do anything extra? :O
Mine doesn't run full screen either, and no effects doesn't help.

Do I need to run it with opengl to get full screen? and if so, how is that possible? :O

TFC

BlahMan_of.Doom
May 1st, 2009, 03:47 AM
Wow.. that fixed it? You didn't do anything extra? :O
Mine doesn't run full screen either, and no effects doesn't help.

Do I need to run it with opengl to get full screen? and if so, how is that possible? :O

TFC

Just tack on --opengl at the end of it.

hungryOrb
May 1st, 2009, 03:50 AM
thanks! didn't get the full screen though.. waaa

hotweiss
May 1st, 2009, 08:00 AM
Hi guys, I'm sorry I know this has been discussed before (without success I've noticed from the other threads) but I'm just wondering if anyone knows how to get Warcraft 3 to run in full screen mode using Wine?

Here is an image of what is happening when I run the game:
http://imgur.com/1o0e.png

Essentially, when I am in-game and I try to pan around the map by moving my mouse to the corners of the screen, the mouse leaves the game window and moves onto the desktop, which kills the gameplay.

I am running the version 1.1.19 of Wine. I am running Ubuntu version 9.04.
I have tried configuring Wine to run in a virtual desktop which does not work, as well as having it not run in a virtual desktop.

I have a nVidia Geforce Go 6100 in my laptop, and currently have the nVidia accelerated graphics driver version 180 installed and working.

The only problem with the game is that it won't run full screen. I've also tried simply switching the game to another workspace to see if it runs full screen, but it does not.

Anyways, if anyone can help me out here I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.

I have found the solution. Install compiz settings manager:

sudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager

Go into Compiz Settings, then Workarounds and enable Legacy Fullscreen Support.

grantbuntu
June 9th, 2009, 01:44 PM
I found a solution from Dimitar Boichev which I have blogged on at Full-screen Warcraft under Wine (http://p-s.co.nz/wordpress/?p=501). The solution involves X windows and may have performance benefits as well.

Here is what worked for me (minor changes from what Dimitar did):

sudo gedit /etc/X11/Xwrapper.config

Change:

allowed_users=console
to

allowed_users=anybody

Then save and quit.

Applications>Wine>Configure Wine select the game you want under applications and then, under Graphics, make sure you untick “Emulate a virtual desktop”.

I also copied /etc/X11/xorg.conf as /etc/X11/only_one_monitor.conf so that I could handle my dual monitor setup by playing Warcraft full-screen in one monitor only. I needed to change:

"TwinView" "1"
to

"TwinView" "0"
i.e. turn dual (twin) view off

Then I created a bash script with the following content (NB to use your username and the correct path to your game) and saved it to my desktop:

#!/bin/bash
X :2 -ac -terminate -config only_one_monitor.conf & sleep 2
DISPLAY=:2 nice -20 env WINEPREFIX="/home/username/.wine" wine "c:\Program Files\Warcraft III\Warcraft III.exe"

Then make the bash script executable (under the file’s Properties>Permissions>Execute - tick the tickbox). Double click it and select run to enjoy full-screen Warcraft etc.

Ctrl+Alt+F7 and Ctrl+Alt+F9 lets you switch between X windows.