PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] No Hard Drive

skeptics4life
April 25th, 2009, 03:18 AM
I have a Dell Inspiron E1505 with a damaged hard drive. The hard drive has been removed and I have installed Ubuntu 9.04 onto a 4GB solid state memory drive. Everything works well except the wireless internet. I have tried a series of things that I have found on the forums. I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction to download drivers, get ubuntu to recognize my wireless card, or any other solution for my issue.

I can get internet on a LAN connection (not at my house, but at a friends place) so if there are specific downloads that I need to do with my laptop (where my Ubuntu is installed) make sure it's noted.

Thanks alot!

luig1
April 25th, 2009, 03:29 AM
Can you be more specific like the make and model of your card?

skeptics4life
April 25th, 2009, 05:10 AM
I think it is the Dell wireless 1390 802.11g card. I won't be completely sure without taking my laptop apart. I got these specs from notebook review (http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=2827).

skeptics4life
April 25th, 2009, 07:16 AM
Success! I accidentally found the answer and I'm now online. I have a new question though... I am on my laptop now (the one with Ubuntu) but I can't install the latest flash plugins to view youtube? What should I do?

pparks1
April 25th, 2009, 07:25 AM
I simply installed all of the multimedia components with the following command:
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras

Now I can listen to MP3's, watch commercial DVD's and playback YouTube videos.

skeptics4life
April 26th, 2009, 07:25 AM
Thank you so much!!!! I can do everything that my old PC used to do!!!

Almost..... the only website that still will not work is Hulu.com For some reason it still will not load videos. If you have a solution, I'm all ears. If not you've been a great help anyway!!!!

Also I don't know how to turn on the 3D cube for my desktops. Suggestions?

Thanks a million!!! :)