PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ext4 on Web Server

hanzgroove
April 24th, 2009, 07:24 PM
Hi all,

I'm just wondering what your opinions are on using an ext4 file system for a web server. If it truly is a faster file system, will that equate to a speedier website? IE: Accessing files, reading from the database, etc? Just wondering if this will let me squeeze out a bit more performance from my server or if it will make very little difference.

Thanks!

lavinog
April 24th, 2009, 10:08 PM
Memory will provide a speedier website before changing to the ext4 fs.
I don't even think the benefits of ext4 will benefit websites anyway. (at least static pages)

To speed up your site, you really have to look into where your bottlenecks are.
Are you running enough apache and mysql connections...
Is the slow down due to the number of users connecting? Bandwidth/latency?

Edit: Also are your pages light enough for the web (make sure that your images are resized properly and indexed to reduce bandwidth)

hanzgroove
April 24th, 2009, 11:03 PM
Thank again for your help lavinog. You're really helpful around these forums.

In regard to my question, I was just wondering if ext4 had any benefits to web servers. I don't have any issue now in regard to speed. Just wondering if that "tweak" would have added some performance. Thanks for the info. I'll pass on ext4 for now.

skirkpatrick
April 24th, 2009, 11:32 PM
Think about it this way: your 'normal' hard drive transfer rate is several orders of magnitude faster than your Internet connection.

lavinog
April 25th, 2009, 04:59 PM
ext4 is still pretty new. I would avoid it still because of potential data integrity issues:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/348836
This bug should be fixed now with the official jaunty release, but it affected me during RC1.
There can still be other bugs.
generally on a desktop you will notice any irregular issues, but issues on a webserver can go unnoticed for an extended period of time.

On the other hand, if your server is used for downloading torrents, ext4 may offer some benefits (not nessisarly speed though).