PDA

View Full Version : Good job for while in college?

Warpnow
April 24th, 2009, 05:05 PM
Two weeks ago I interviewed at UPS but called back for a follow-up and am told they won't be hiring for 3 or 4 more weeks. I can't wait that long.

Do you guys have any reccomendations as to where I should apply?

I need to make about $500 a month to support rent and food.

Any suggestions?

Synthros
April 24th, 2009, 05:10 PM
You may want to wait it out if there's a guarantee that you'll get in. I've never worked there, but I know a few people that have. Word has it that they are very understanding and accommodating if you're going to school, and they pay pretty well for that type of work.

Maybe you could find something (very) short-term to keep you afloat for the next month...?

card_ace
April 24th, 2009, 08:29 PM
computer repair? start posting fliers around town telling people to call you with their computer problems. that is, if you know what your doing. :lolflag:

Spiritous
April 24th, 2009, 08:37 PM
Two weeks ago I interviewed at UPS but called back for a follow-up and am told they won't be hiring for 3 or 4 more weeks. I can't wait that long.

Do you guys have any reccomendations as to where I should apply?

I need to make about $500 a month to support rent and food.

Any suggestions?

SWEEP THA' PUB!

Ah if it were my i'd do the old Car Wash trick :), Though thats just me, and i'm pretty lazy, So i'd recommend working in a big Retail Store like PC World or something your good with *COUGHLINUX?*

mxboy15u
April 24th, 2009, 08:38 PM
Either waiter or bartender. You can clear $500 in one weekend easy at the right place.

Old_Grey_Wolf
April 24th, 2009, 08:44 PM
Apartment Manager, rent is free.

MN Noob
April 24th, 2009, 08:44 PM
It probably is a little late now, but I always recommend College students to find an intern position. Most of them pay depending on your year and not your function. My last summer before my senior year I made 17$/hour, which is quite substantial for a college student, and easily clear 500/week. Not to mention after you graduate, it will be much easier to get a job in that specific company, or look good on resumes.

tubezninja
April 24th, 2009, 08:51 PM
If you're in college, check on-campus for a student employment office. Lots of college campuses rely on students for sources of labor, be it office work, at the student commonses, bookstores, even the computer lab or IT department. I have to say, I learned a lot more about unix, network management and sysadminning on the job at my campus IT department than I ever did sitting in class. :D