PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Desktop Missing after "switch Desktop Mode"

finippino
April 24th, 2009, 04:58 PM
Hello all,

I installed 9.04 netbook remix today on my Asus eeepc 1000HA. All is well until I "Switch Desktop Mode" to the classic desktop. Then when I rebooted I lost the panels and really cant do anything. I did a few reinstalls just to isolate the issue and I have confirmed that "Switch Desktop Mode" is causing the problem. Has anyone had this same problem with their eee?

Thanks

Peter09
April 24th, 2009, 05:09 PM
When you lose the panels try opening a terminal, (ALT-F2) will do, and run

nautilus

It sounds like thats what is crashing.

GeorgeVita
April 24th, 2009, 05:13 PM
Hi finippino,

above does NOT work (alt+F2)

after having the same problem I followed the following steps and succeed to turn it back:

1. right click on background
2. click on create launcer
3. type xterm to name
4. type xterm to command
5. click ok
6. double click on xterm (icon created above)
7. type desktop-switcher and press enter
8. choose Ubuntu Netbook Desktop and Apply

The above creates a shortcut to have access to a terminal window and then run the swither from terminal.

...and we must wait for the resolving update or... force ourselves to the new (mobile phone) style!

I personally prefer a little computer (standard desktop) than a big pda (without touchscreen).

Regards,
George

finippino
April 24th, 2009, 05:23 PM
Thanks for your help! I could not get nautilus to work so I tried the xterm way and it worked. So needless to say, this is a bug right?

Tk0680
April 26th, 2009, 05:24 PM
Just thought I'd add my voice to this.

I suffered the same problem on my Dell Mini 9; switching to "normal" mode (more out of curiosity than a dislike for a the netbook launcher) gave me a half-formed taskbar (with a menu button that didn't work - my guess was it was still trying to send me to the "home" screen). Logging out and in gave me nothing but a blank desktop.

I'd got xterm up via a launcher, expecting to have some variable in my profile needing a reset - glad it was rather simpler than that! Thanks very much for the answer.

It's a big shame though that, even after all this time (I've been with Ubuntu since Hoary), something as basic as switching desktop mode can cause something as showstopping as this. It spoils my - otherwise very impressed - initial impression of Jaunty. As much as I hate to say it (and really, I do - I'm a huge fan of Linux and Ubuntu in particular) - a new edition of Windows wouldn't ship with a bug like this in it in a million years.

Tk0680
April 26th, 2009, 05:34 PM
Nope, it's not entirely fixed.

I've got my "netbook mode" desktop back, minus gnome-panel which has to be run manually.

Additionally, windows now launch anchored right to the top-left corner of the screen (over the top of the panel) with no option to close them short of their own File menu.

Grr.

y_garti
April 26th, 2009, 05:43 PM
i just use the desktop-switcher command and chose ubuntu net-book desktop
and i suffer lots of errors
1.The panel encountered a problem while loading "OAFIID:GNOME_GoHome". Do you want to delete the applet from your configuration? (when i chose delete or don't delete the result is the same nothing happed)
2. The panel encountered a problem while loading "OAFIID:GNOME_WindowPicker". Do you want to delete the applet from your configuration? (when i chose delete or don't delete the result is the same nothing happed)
3. i don't see my icons on desktop again

is there a way i can return to my previous configuration before i used the desktop-switcher

GeorgeVita
April 26th, 2009, 07:38 PM
Hi y_garti,
I manage to solve all problems regarding Desktop & panels but working now only with the "old style" standard desktop with the following:

In my first try, I download the .img file, test it with md5sum and found it ok. Then "burn it" to the USB stick using a windows application. Booting from this USB stick (live mode) I made a "check disk for defects" and this found an error in 1 file. Searching internet I found a bug report telling that this is not a major problem, so as I had the m5dsum OK I did the installation. Many problems appeared...

I return to: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromImgFiles

For my second try, I used the same .img file which burned to the USB stick using the image burner via ImageWriter downloaded to the "problematic" UNR netbook. The stick was formated in a windows pc as FAT-32. I tried to md5sum test the USB stick but the checksum were not as the file (maybe this is OK because of extra files created or extracted). My result of this was:

sudo md5sum /dev/sdb
c2c595e816935d7bda865fc0cd42f904 /dev/sdb

The /dev/sdb was my USB stick as created after its attachment checked with the terminal command: ls /dev/sd*
It could be /dev/sdc so needs testing. The md5sum created after 7 or 8 minutes with no indication in the terminal window for the progress.

After I did a fresh install and select "use password at login" (old style) when asked. After the installation I boot (Netbook Desktop look) and the first thing I do was to change desktop to Standard (old type). Then I shut down. Boot again. All panels in their position!

Then I attach my 3G modem, setup the connection, choose a closer repository (to be faster) and I made all upgrades suggested (most of them were Firefox, one was X... i do not remember). Reboot.

Conclusion:
I don't know what caused the faults or what action fix it. Possibly the USB disk did not work properly or the repositories have a patched version or ...?
Now I am using the standard desktop only because I fear to test the Netbook one! Also I don't know how many people (and "debugging" hours or how many posts) around the globe are tired with this!

Hope above will help a little or give some hope!

Regards,
George

y_garti
April 26th, 2009, 07:56 PM
wow thanks a lot but to tell you the true i formated my hd (i want to test the new ext4)
so i decided to make a clean installation

but thanks a lot for trying to help

chaschev
May 29th, 2009, 01:57 AM
What helps is

rm -r .gconf* .gnome*but all gnome-configuration data will be lost after running this command. You may want to backup these folders first and then to restore pieces of configuration manually. Also one may try creating a new user - the new user has a fully functional netbook desktop - and duplicating a bug there.

Just to add. After running kdiff3 on the 'fielthy and healthy' species of folders mentioned above, you will notice that Ubuntu changes a lot. Now I don't have for further analysis, sorry. :)

UPDATE:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/desktop-switcher/+bug/349519

In short,

1. install attached deb package (version 0.4.6)
2. rm -r ~/.config/desktop-switcher
3. switch to preferred desktop (I think, this one is optional)
4. Execute configuration command

Netbook-mode should be: gconftool-2 --set /desktop/gnome/session/required_components_list --type list --list-type=string ["windowmanager","panel"]

Classic mode:
gconftool-2 --set /desktop/gnome/session/required_components_list --type list --list-type=string ["windowmanager","panel","filemanager"]

5. Log Out, Log In

Hope this helps!