PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Login Prompt gone

ad5os
April 24th, 2009, 04:01 PM
Hi... Just did an upgrade and it asked if I wanted to upgrade from 8.10 to 9.04 and I said sure.

The thing downloaded all night and I woke up to a question about replacing gwm I believe. I said sure....

Then it said only a partial install could take place and that the upgrade didn't quite go all the way... No big deal I think it is because I have some 3rd party repositories and latest versions of like firefox and opera and skype stuff.

So now when x starts all I get is my pretty "busy" mouse with no control and no login window. I can log in fine on a terminal but not in x...

I am sure it is just a line of script somewhere that I need to edit..

Any help?

LowSky
April 24th, 2009, 04:16 PM
in terminal run

sudo apt-get update

then

sudo apt-get upgrade

ad5os
April 24th, 2009, 04:34 PM
yea I already tried that.... it doesnt upgrade 300 some odd packages... I guess I shouldnt have hit that upgrade button now! :P

I think it is something to do just with xserver.... the cursor loads up but I get no response.. it is just hanging there.. no background nothing. cant restart the xserver either... just switch to a text term.

could it be something with the GWM?

Peter09
April 24th, 2009, 04:41 PM
No disk activity?

ad5os
April 24th, 2009, 04:47 PM
when I do an update on apt-get I think all my other repositories are screwing it up.... when I do an upgrade it says 0 upgraded 0 newly installed and 321 not upgraded.

looks like it wont upgrade any of the xorg stuff.

Can I roll back some of the upgrades.... or would a REINSTALL really mess things up? I dont know if thats all that much different than upgrade.

ad5os
April 24th, 2009, 05:01 PM
also when I apt-get update I get a lot of failed to fetch and GPG errors I think it is cause I used all those 3rd party repositories with Ubuntu Tweak. can I degrade back to 8.10?

Peter09
April 24th, 2009, 05:05 PM
Can you not comment out your additional repositories on a temporary basis.

Edit /etc/apt/sources.list

ad5os
April 24th, 2009, 05:25 PM
alright I did that I am doing a apt-get dist-install So thats gonig to take a while.. let you know if it worked or not..

ad5os
April 24th, 2009, 09:37 PM
FIXED:

after doing the sudo apt-get dist-install I booted in recovery mode and ran fix packages or something like that.... SO now its working and all my settings are still there AND it is fully 9.04 thanks guys