PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Where is Thunderbird (icon?)

smileyguy
April 24th, 2009, 01:24 PM
Synaptics tells me that Thunderbid is installed but I can't find it under the Applications menu.

Any tips?

Teabicky
April 24th, 2009, 01:28 PM
Try this

Go to System> Preferences> Main Menu

From here go to internet and see of it is there. If it is check the box and it should appear in your applications menu.

smileyguy
April 24th, 2009, 01:55 PM
Not there:(

Firefox is there - that's not it is it . . .

El Zoido
April 24th, 2009, 01:58 PM
Restart and check if it's there afterwards.
Works most of the time for me.

If not, open a console and type thunderbird to see if it starts.
If it does it is indeed installed.
You could then add a new starter on your own.

smileyguy
April 24th, 2009, 02:20 PM
Restarted and not there:(

I reinstalled it via Synaptics (just using the reinstall option then restarted). I have the Evolution Mail app though. I don't think that's it though.

El Zoido
April 24th, 2009, 02:22 PM
No, Evolution is a different App
It's not bad though, I use it on Ubuntu.
Of course, its all about personal taste...

LowSky
April 24th, 2009, 02:24 PM
It wont be on the panel but under
Applications > Internet > Thunderbird

open a terminal and type

thunderbird

smileyguy
April 24th, 2009, 02:39 PM
When I enter that into the console I get the message:

The program 'thunderbird' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing:
sudo apt-get install thunderbird
bash: thunderbird: command not found

Then when I enter the command (sudo apt-get install thunderbird) to install it I get this message:

E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11 Resource temporarily unavailable)
E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?

Using Evolution for now but would like to try Thunderbird (especially since trying to get it working learns me so much!)

Flyingjester
April 24th, 2009, 02:41 PM
that means the package manager is working, wait a bit, and try again.

kanikilu
April 24th, 2009, 02:41 PM
E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11 Resource temporarily unavailable)
E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?

Do you by any chance still have Synaptic open? If so, close it before running apt-get.

BUKRITYA
April 24th, 2009, 02:50 PM
This message usually means you have another package manager running.
First try to close synaptic, update manager, adept etc. and check other desktops to see if any are open there. Then try the command again. If still the same message, then hit System->Administrarion->System Monitor and look something that might be locking the package database.

LowSky
April 24th, 2009, 02:58 PM
Something tells me that you didn't install it

in synaptic click to install thunderbird and then at the top click on apply (usually a green checkmark)

or from terminal
sudo apt-get install thunderbird

smileyguy
April 24th, 2009, 02:59 PM
Do you by any chance still have Synaptic open? If so, close it before running apt-get.
ah thanks - stupid me. seems to be working now thanks kanikulu.

It seems to be downloading now via that console command - was just about to download it manually from mozilla and try installing it myself (with gdebi).

smileyguy
April 24th, 2009, 03:14 PM
All worked thanks. Apparently it was installed in the first place btu couldn't seem to find it.

Install from console worked:)