PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Cannot find Wireless network

ConanB
April 24th, 2009, 12:41 PM
Hello everyone,

Im a new Ubuntu user and Im still learning to work with Ubuntu. I installed Ubuntu 8 a couple of weeks ago and when I was finished Ubuntu was unable to find my wireless network (at home and at work). Eventhough every other PC can connect to the network.

I figured out how to fix this problem, with some help from so guy at work. But now that Ive updated to Ubuntu 9.04 the problem is back. The guy from my work isnt able to help me (very busy guy).

Therefor I would like some help from you guys. How can I make my Ubuntu version find my wireless networks? I would need a detailed overview of the steps I need to take.

Its an desktop Ubuntu 9.04 version on my Dell laptop inspiron 1521. I was able to post this thread because of my Windows version on the same PC.

Please help me with this problem..
Thanks,
ConanB

djtnz
April 24th, 2009, 12:48 PM
I'm not sure, but you may need to install some 3rd party drivers for your wireless card, in the menus:

System > Administration > Hardware Drivers

Check to see if there is an appropriate driver for your card?

ConanB
April 24th, 2009, 01:28 PM
I'm not sure, but you may need to install some 3rd party drivers for your wireless card, in the menus:

System > Administration > Hardware Drivers

Check to see if there is an appropriate driver for your card?

Iv just tried the above by trying a different driver, but this driver needed to download. Seeing this wasnt possible I tried deactivating the current one and activating it again. After I did that Ubuntu was able to find the wireless networks and connect to them.

But when I try to start Fire Fox and go online I get a network error (right away). The router works perfectly. Does anyone have any ideas?

Current driver: Broadcom STA wireless driver.

Thanks.

acimmarusti
April 24th, 2009, 01:41 PM
open up a terminal and type:

lspci -v | grep Network

And show me the output

ConanB
April 24th, 2009, 03:44 PM
open up a terminal and type:

lspci -v | grep Network
And show me the output

The following output came up:
0b:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom corporation BCM4311 802.11b/g WLAN (rev 01)

Thanks...

ConanB
April 24th, 2009, 05:38 PM
The issues has been solved by deactivating and activating my driver. The issue that is still a problem is the switch at my work. Ill let you know which switch this is asap im back at the office.

acimmarusti
April 25th, 2009, 04:21 AM
Ok, try this:

Go to: http://ubuntu.cafuego.net/dists/hardy-cafuego/broadcom/

and get the b43-firmware .deb package. Now, install it on your computer (double click) and restart.

That should take care of the wireless issues, hopefully