PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Asus F7Sr video problem Ubuntu 9.04

Sladdin
April 24th, 2009, 11:21 AM
Hello.
I have been trying to get Ubuntu 9.04 to work on my Asus F7Sr laptop. The graphic card is a ATI Radeon Mobility HD2400, the installation boots up smoothly in fail safe graphic mode and the MESA driver works properly inside Ubuntu after the installation but when I install the restricted ATI drivers from the Ubuntu repo and reboot the computer it doesn't start X successfully and I even tried to follow the installation guide on http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubuntu_Jaunty_Installation_Guide.

Here is a image of the "result" after the driver installation
http://i43.tinypic.com/245apz7.jpg

Would be thankful for any help!:)

sibnick
April 24th, 2009, 12:41 PM
Can you specify platform (amd64 or x86) and RAM size?
I also have trouble with 9.04 on Asus F7SR (I can't install amd64 version in graphics mode at all).

Sladdin
April 24th, 2009, 05:21 PM
Can you specify platform (amd64 or x86) and RAM size?
I also have trouble with 9.04 on Asus F7SR (I can't install amd64 version in graphics mode at all).

Asus F7Sr Specs:
Ubuntu x86
ATI Mobility 2400HD
Inte Core2
3GB RAM

Sladdin
April 24th, 2009, 10:39 PM
Anyone that might now any possible solution? :(

zancoste
April 25th, 2009, 05:16 AM
I am having the same problem too.
Now I just want to be able to boot up without the restricted drivers. However, I don't know how to do so. :(

zancoste
April 25th, 2009, 07:34 AM
I was able to fix the problem :)

Reboot your computer into recovery mode, choose root prompt perform the followings:

sudo apt-get remove xorg-driver-fglrx

Then try to start normally. Now if it works but the resolution is messed up, you can always run

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg --frontend=gnome

It worked for me :)
I hope it does for you too.

Sladdin
April 25th, 2009, 11:31 AM
I was able to fix the problem :)

Reboot your computer into recovery mode, choose root prompt perform the followings:

sudo apt-get remove xorg-driver-fglrx

Then try to start normally. Now if it works but the resolution is messed up, you can always run

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg --frontend=gnome

It worked for me :)
I hope it does for you too.

Thanks that also worked for me but no 3D acceleration, did you manage get that to work?

Sladdin
April 25th, 2009, 02:49 PM
Or are there any other open source drivers that might work for this card?
Thanks for any help!:)

zancoste
April 25th, 2009, 04:30 PM
I don't know if there is anything for now... I think we are just going to have to wait :(

For now I am just happy that I got rid of this Black-Red Screen of Death.
There is always the choice of downgrading back to 8.10 ...

Beaon
April 25th, 2009, 05:22 PM
THanks for the fix, my screen was also scrambled. Now how do we get HW acceleration back?

Beaon
April 25th, 2009, 05:59 PM
Someone opened a bug but his fix did not help me whatsoever.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/366529

Prodoc
April 26th, 2009, 01:35 AM
I found that the problem is ATI, not Ubuntu. Support for quite a number of cards was dropped as of Catalyst 9.4. Catalyst 9.3, however, does not support X Server 1.6 which is included in Ubuntu 9.04. Ironically support for X Server 1.6 was introduced in Catalyst 9.4. Please, let ATI know what you think of this and ask them to include those cards for just one more round to let them have X Server 1.6 support: http://www.amd.com/us/LinuxCrewSurvey

Beaon
April 28th, 2009, 07:32 PM
What the heck! I pay $500 bucks premium for a card less then a year old and it's already unsupported? What kind of crap is this. It's not like the 3870 is exactly old. We're not talking about 9800 pros here! Thats dissapointing news.

Any rate thanks for the infoz.

MaindotC
April 29th, 2009, 04:54 AM
I've had the x850 for almost 4 years and it's always handled graphics wonderfully. Unfortunately, I may have to get something better if I want to use 9.04. I'm using the open-source driver just to boot into gdm.

waspinator
May 1st, 2009, 04:14 AM
Hey! I still have a 9800 Pro. And I expect it to show something up on the screen. It does everything I need it to do in Windows Vista. I hope I won't need to change my card just becuse ati is being a ****.