PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Updating from 8.04 to JJ.

R@inm@n
April 24th, 2009, 07:56 AM
I have Ubuntu 8.04 installed on a second HDD in my computer. The other HDD has Wind0ws XP and VMWare with Win 7 beta on it.
What I would like to know is:

How do I go about installing the latest Ubuntu release of Jackalope over the top of my current Ubuntu Hardy 8.04 from a DVD iso I downloaded please?

Can I just update 8.04 to JJ or do I need to do a new clean install and lose all my current apps?

Thanks,

R.

Penguin Guy
April 24th, 2009, 07:59 AM
You can upgrade via the internet; this will not loose any of your app's. Open the package manager and click on the upgrade button.

Before you upgrade I suggest you turn any power-saving options off to ensure your computer will complete the upgrade uninterrupted.

GMod
April 24th, 2009, 08:01 AM
from what I've read you can do the update only from 8.10 to 9.04. You can update 8.04 to 8.10 then to 9.04. or do clean install after you back up your data!

Torgas Prim
April 24th, 2009, 08:02 AM
I checked last night, we need to upgrade to 8.10 first, then on to 9.04.
Seems kinda stupid to have to upgrade to a short term release first then back to the long term release.
Wont it break alot of stuff?

Elfy
April 24th, 2009, 08:06 AM
9.04 isn't a LTS - you can upgrade using the alternate rather than the livecd. But you'll still need to do both. If you want to stay with LTS releases - then the next LTS is 10.04

R@inm@n
April 24th, 2009, 08:11 AM
Well then...I have to update to 8.10 then to JJ...ok.

I'll try that. Thank you.

R.

HyRax
April 24th, 2009, 08:11 AM
If your /home is in its own partition and you know what extra apps you've installed, then forego the upgrade and simply install 9.04 directly over the top of 8.04. When you startup, Ubuntu will automatically preserve all your cosmetic preferences because they're still there in /home and all you then need to do is re-add the extra things you use that are not part of a vanilla install, eg: Adobe Acrobat, Restricted-Extras, MythTV, games, etc.