PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Dell d630 memory upgrade

BlazeXI
April 24th, 2009, 07:27 AM
Hello ...

i was on the dell support site ...checking if it was possible to upgrade my dell d630 to 8gig ram (2 x 4gig modules).According to the dell IT support it is possible , but i have to flash the bios to latest version before i do the upgrade .

i am a total newbee to ubuntu...and was wondering do i still have to flash the bios....if im gone run ubuntu(JJ) 64bit as my main OS. ??

Barry Carroll
April 24th, 2009, 11:35 AM
You would need to update the BIOS as that will be the thing that detects your memory. Then you would need an x64 version of ubuntu that would take advantage of all that memory.

What will you be doing on your laptop that requires 8GB of memory?

BlazeXI
April 24th, 2009, 12:11 PM
Thanks for the reply ....

I use multiple virtual enviroments on my laptop, which requires me to dedicate a certain amount of memory to certain environments.

i use a few for work and a few for testing, this way it allows be to work on various integrations with ease.. hehehe

BlazeXI
April 24th, 2009, 12:18 PM
Hi Barry...

Iím open for suggestions ... upon establishing a power platform to run multiple environments??

for me : Ubuntu(linux) has the best ability that i have ever experience...

Barry Carroll
April 24th, 2009, 01:17 PM
Hey Blaze, that makes perfect sense really. I was just asking about the 8GB because it would have saved you a lot of money if you didn't really need it ;) The last time that I checked a single 4GB module was still around 150 to 170 euros!

I'm a fan of Virtualbox by Sun Microsystems for running my VMs. I'd only fire one or two up as I would need though so other people might have better suggestions for a more enterprisey solution.

BlazeXI
April 24th, 2009, 07:37 PM
OH yeah dude...me too Virtualbox rocks, and currently we standardizing by sun Virtualbox within the company I work for.

I have been struggling with another issue but will create another thread to benefit anyone else experiencing the issue...

thanks for your input barry much appreciated .. ;)