PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Netbook remix and intel atom

kingleer
April 24th, 2009, 05:26 AM
Hello, I have a question about the ubuntu 9.04 netbook remix.

Besides boot times, are there any performance improvements in the Remix compared to the regular Desktop distro on netbooks?

What exactly is meant when it is said that it takes advantage of the intel atom?

I have a 10 inch MSI wind and have been happy with the regular distro, but should I use the netbook remix?

Also, why is the netbook disk image 900 megabytes, but the regular install is far smaller?

HankB
April 24th, 2009, 05:48 AM
I'm not aware of any specific enhancements for the Atom. I think there are fewer packages installed. I believe that the 8.10 based UNR used an lpia optimized kernel, but I don't see one for Jaunty. WRT the Eee PCs, I think the biggest benefit is H/W support mostly out of the box. There seems to be less need for a kernel from Array.org.

If you already have a working install, it might make more sense to wait and allow the dust to settle so to speak. I have a couple PCs running 8.10, one of which I just upgraded weeks ago.

I got my 901 Friday. Since initial reports regarding Jaunty were generally favorable, I went with it. My Thinkpad will have to wait. ;)

Try the UNR USB live to see if you like it. Or install it. You can always revert to the normal (Gnome) desktop.

I have no idea why the UNR image is so much larger than the ISO.

-hank